1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

University of Kentucky beat, Louisville, KY

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by franticscribe, May 16, 2006.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I would be plenty happy to spend the rest of my life in Lexington, or especially Louisville. And I'm as stereotypical Wisconsin as you can get.

Dumb ass.

2. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

it may be the most retarded thing posted on this side of the board every

(pretty far down the list on the main board, but, you know...)

3. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Still, that's saying something.

4. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Says the guy who has never covered Chaminade.

5. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

BMS--
    Actually, I'm the asshole, I didn't know that's what that journalismnext.com was for.

My fault.

6. SnoopyBoy

SnoopyBoy Member

Well, I forgot most of you are covering preps and would give your right arms for that job. But if you think covering Kentucky basketball in the Lexington paper is the pinnacle of a career, you'll be lucky to get that far.

7. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

You have no idea what you're talking about, Snoopy. Trust me.

8. SnoopyBoy

SnoopyBoy Member

Oh, I think I do. Trust me!

9. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

Count me in on the "Snoopy's clueless" side.

Dude, if you think Tipton's in Lexington because he's not any good, you're sadly mistaken. Actually reading the guy's stuff -- and keeping track of the way he gets after it on a VERY high-profile beat -- might help you be a little less clueless.

10. ECrawford

ECrawford Member

Quick note. As the job has been done ever since I can remember, the reporter is based in Lexington and lives there year-round. Until last year, The Courier-Journal maintained a bureau in Lexington. It was closed down in a round of bureau closings. Since then, I think Michael has worked from home, which he did for much of the time anyway.

Running back through the list of guys who had the beat, just that I can think of, Smith, Rusty Hampton, Mark Coomes, Mark Woods, Pat Forde, Scott Fowler, and I'm skipping several. Anyway, every one of them was outstanding.

11. PaseanaARG

PaseanaARG Guest

It's a tough gig in the sense that you have to brawl with the H-L guys solo. They have a staff. You have you.

The C-J has strung together a really impressive group of reporters on the UK beat through the years. They've made the job look somewhat easy. It is not. Look at the list Crawford outlined. That's a dream team.

Harry Bryan (SE) and Creig Ewing (ASE) are excellent.

12. abesimpson22

abesimpson22 Guest

Snoopy - Your other posts on here, outing yourself as a major metro baseball beat writer, seem to paint a portrait of an intelligent guy who understands the business.

Methinks you are just trying to rile people up here for the fun of it.

Draft saved Draft deleted