1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

University of Kentucky beat, Louisville, KY

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by franticscribe, May 16, 2006.

1. PaseanaARG

PaseanaARG Guest

Yea, Brett got this job. He's a good one. Another Kentucky graduate earning a nice job. Getting to be a trend.

2. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Haven't talked to Brett in the better part of two weeks, but I'm extremely happy for him.

On, On, U of K!

3. DyePack

DyePack New Member

I'm happy for him, too, but for different reasons.

Now the Snooze-Gazette can get down to business: Lots of capsules stating the incredibly obvious and "jokes" that fall flat immediately.

4. PaseanaARG

PaseanaARG Guest

DyePack: Purveyor of all that is right and virtuous with American journalism.

5. DyePack

DyePack New Member

At your request, I could cite plenty of examples.

6. PaseanaARG

PaseanaARG Guest

Note to self: Stop feeding trolls, stop feeding trolls ...

7. SportsScribe5

SportsScribe5 Member

Would this indicate an opening in Champaign???

8. I would hope that they would continue to cover Illinois without Brett, but I've been wrong before. :p

9. DyePack

DyePack New Member

You mean "cover" Illinois.

This is a newspaper that ran an edition with a headline that said "30-0" before the team won its 30th game. The team lost its 30th game.

This is a newspaper that ran a darkened image of Dee Brown under the headline "Hangin' 10."

This is a newspaper that ran a tips box a few years ago with advice like "Play defense" and "Badger South Alabama."

This is a newspaper that ... well, this could go on and on.

10. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

... that is APSE Top 10 almost every year.

Give it a rest.

11. Moland Spring

Moland Spring Member

Not a rip on Brett Dawson (all accounts say he's a good writer):

But on a blog titled "Money Matters," he calls Bruce Weber the most underpaid coach in America. So, as the beat writer, he's lobbying for his coach to have a bigger contract. Would any of us at Metro Daily be allowed to/want to write that? Obviously, there is a different thing that goes on in papers like this. Still, this isn't rare for college-town papers.

12. PaseanaARG

PaseanaARG Guest

I'm biased because I know and like Brett ... but I don't find a problem with that blog snippet. Most underpaid coach in America? Could be. I don't interpret that as Brett lobbying for a new contract. Not even a little bit.

Draft saved Draft deleted