1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

University of Kentucky beat, Louisville, KY

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by franticscribe, May 16, 2006.

1. Brown would be a step back from last 2 C-J beat writers at UK, Smith and Hampton. Haven't been too impressed with his copy on IU. Part of that also could be lack of emphasis on IU at C-J as well but his writing is average at best.
    As for Lexington, it's a hell of a lot better than some of the armpits of hell in the SEC.... Starkville, Oxford, Fayetteville.....

2. fr81

fr81 New Member

Who's your team? :)

3. Covered UK and know for sure Lexington is a step up from many other SEC places

4. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

Starkvegas and Oxford aren't too bad (Oxford is a great college town and Starkville has some decent bars and restaurants)...the problem is that there is nothing around either one of those places. I mean, go 15 minutes outside of Oxford, and you'll see stray dogs going through garbage dumpsters on the side of the road.

5. Starkvegas isn't bad? No offense, but you've got to be kidding.

6. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

I had a good time the one weekend I spent up there...of course, I was drunk the entire time. But I remember going to a couple of decent bars and restaurants that were pretty busy, and there were a fair number of babes around. I will grant you that the campus is ugly and the hot beer thing is a drag.

7. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Heard through the MidwestSportsJournalists.com pipeline that Brett Dawson of the Champaign News-Gazette is filling this job. Brett has been covering U of I for the N-G.

Confirmation on this news, anyone?

8. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

You can buy cold beer in Starkville now. It has finally entered the 20th century.

9. that's awesome if brett got it. harry bryan has been tyring to bring him back to kentucky for some time now.

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Too bad it's now the 21st.

11. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Can't slip subtlety past some folks.

12. sportsgopher

sportsgopher Member

Someone in the know confirmed this for me today

Draft saved Draft deleted