1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

University of Kentucky beat, Louisville, KY

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by franticscribe, May 16, 2006.

1. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Well, we do. But the only way you can fly into it is by putting yourself in one of these:

[​IMG]

2. PaseanaARG

PaseanaARG Guest

I love the veiled reference to "the guy in Champaign" ... such a huge paper, wonder who that could be.

That said, dude is an eff-in stud according to me.

3. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

Yeah, I'm sure they're going to kill the Kentucky basketball beat at one of the state's two biggest papers. Uh huh. Sure.
    If Louisville needs to buy someone a damn plane ticket for an interview, they'll do it.
    You sound like someone who doesn't know what the hell he's talking about.

4. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Come on dude. Do you have any idea how much money that paper would save by cutting that beat.
    ::)

5. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

Yeah, just like the New York Times would save some jack by cutting out its Yankees coverage... ;D
    In all seriousness, though, I was a finaliist for an SEC beat writing job at a major Gannett paper in the South three years ago.
    I drove in and they put me up at a hotel..... but the job ultimately went to a candidate from the Northeast who - shocker! - flew in after the paper - gasp! - paid for his plane ticket.
    Anybody who thinks Louisville won't nut up and pay for a plane ticket is cuckoo.

6. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Nut up?

7. PaseanaARG

PaseanaARG Guest

Yea, that's a new one for me as well ...

Leave it to him.

8. this_guy

this_guy Guest

Really never heard of nut up? How about sack up?

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

What's wrong, printdust? Didn't make the short list of interview candidates?

10. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I should have applied for this, and told them my undying hatred of everything the athletic program (except men's soccer) stands for would lead me to search for every bit of dirt I could find.

Dammit.

11. DyePack

DyePack New Member

As has been mentioned at the Wenalway site, the Champaign writers are the masters of stating the absolute obvious.

The readers are told a junior player will have to provide senior leadership the next year. Really?

The readers are told a returning frontcourt player will have to pick up some of the slack with James Augustine graduating. Again, really?

"Nuts and Dolts" also will have an example of the use of an anonymous source in a column and what happened afterward. (Sorry, specifics to come later.)

If Louisville does hire from Champaign, it'll be Champaign's gain.

12. Said writer from Illinois would be a great hire for the UK or any of the beats if the C-J goes in house.

Draft saved Draft deleted