1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

University of Kentucky beat, Louisville, KY

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by franticscribe, May 16, 2006.

1. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Sports Reporter/University of Kentucky Beat

Post Date: May 16, 2006
    Type: Full time
    Start Date: ASAP
    Salary: Negotiable

Job Description:
    Will report and write stories about the University of Kentucky sports teams, primarily football and basketball and other topics as necessary, primarily for the daily newspaper and online. Must have at least three to five years reporting experience. Send clips, resume and references to Harry Bryan, Sports Editor, The Courier-Journal, 525 W. Broadway, Louisville, KY 40202 or hbryan@courier-journal.com

From JournalismNext.com

2. abesimpson22

abesimpson22 Guest

Wow. Wow. Expect some heavy, heavy hitters going after this one. This has to be one of the best beat jobs in the country. Wow.

3. Mike did an outstanding job on this beat. His replacement will have some big shoes to fill.

4. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Damn, I wish this was a few years from now when I would have a little more experience and be in a better position to pack up and move. Jobs like this don't pop up everyday. Did Smith live in Lexington or make the drive from Louisville?

5. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

My guess is they'll look for someone young-ish (20s-30s) who is ready to step up to a major metro.

IIRC, Smith came from Columbia, SC. Eric Crawford, the Cards beat writer, came from Evansville. Those two don't make a trend, but if you work in a mid-size paper (say 100K circ.), you should consider applying. Harry and Creig Ewing are great people to work with.

6. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

You'd be surprised how often they pop up. I think Smith's only been there for four years.

And his office was in Lexington.

7. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

A stud, one might say. ;D

Good luck to the applicants!

8. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Again, Where's Smith going?

9. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

Yeah, where is heading? He did an outstanding job covering the Chickens at The State.

10. SportsScribe5

SportsScribe5 Member

Out of curiosity, what do you think the pay range on something like this would be?

11. Deep South Hack

Deep South Hack New Member

My understanding is Smith went to Sports Business Journal in Charlotte to cover NASCAR. Wouldn't want to fill his shoes in Ky. Just check out the exclusive he had this morning. He gave Tipton, one of the best hoops guys out there, fits every week.

12. ShelbyFoote

ShelbyFoote Member

Here's the story Smith had this morning:

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060516/SPORTS03/605160398/1002/SPORTS

Draft saved Draft deleted