1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

University of Illinois beat, Champaign

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by ShelbyFoote, Jul 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Otter: GermansFlorida?
    Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.

2. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Yeah, Florida. There's a powerhouse. Before last year, a recent lock to lose early in the tournament. And lost to the aforementioned Michigan State in its previous deep run.

Northwestern would still dominate that crappy conference.

3. DyePack

DyePack New Member

I'm not interested in dissing Florida. When I wrote the post up a little ways, I was thinking about the 1990s when Arkansas played in two title games and Kentucky was in three consecutive title games. Frankly, last year's tournament was so shitty and uneven that I don't think of it when I think of good teams. The UConn team from 2004 would have beaten Fla. by 30.

If we're going to start arguing based on who might make noise, then it's time to talk up Ohio State. And Indiana has to do better without Mike Davis, although Kelvin Sampson is not a huge improvement.

4. clarkington

clarkington Member

Back to the real reason for this thread: Nothing yet. Still haven't brought anybody in yet. Should be happening in a week or so.

Oh, and in the Big Ten, they play defense.

5. DyePack

DyePack New Member

"Here, we pour whiskey!" [/backtothefuture3]

6. the_lorax

the_lorax Member

i'm gonna bump this. anyone have info on where the job search stands?

7. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I got an e-mail a few days ago from the SE saying that he got me resume and that they'd probably "get moving on a hire within the next month or so", which either means they want to have an accepted offer by then or they at least want to be in the interview phase. Still a nice touch to get acknowledgement of my interest from the SE, even if I'm the last pick in the seventh round of the News-Gazette Illinois Beat Writer Draft.

8. the_lorax

the_lorax Member

you might be mr. irrelevant, but i'm waiting for the supplemental draft

9. joe

joe Active Member

Nice to see how this thread got jacked into an argument about the Big Ten. As expected.
    As for the job, from someone who worked there for six years and knows everyone in sports except for the new dude on desk, you will work your ass off. The beat is not a 40-hour a week job. It's year-round, with a few scattered weeks of down time -- but damn few. Dawson had a hard act to follow in Jeff D'Alessio, but he did a fine job.
    Rossow is a great guy, and a great guy to work for -- if you bust your ass. If you want to punch a time clock, check elsewhere.
    As for the pay, I know what I made at top of scale, and it was better than any paper of its size in the country will shell out.
    Granted, I've been gone three years, but I still know how shit works there. If you want more info on the people or whatever, feel free to PM me. And for those spouting off without knowing what you're talking about, STFU. Enough bullshit on this site alread.

10. ShelbyFoote

ShelbyFoote Member

Heard second hand that the SE has three or four folks in mind for this one, and that interviews will begin shortly (if they haven't already).

11. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

damnit! where's my e-mail?

12. clarkington

clarkington Member

Hey Joe, where are you now, there's varying rumors as to your wherabouts. Many say Columbia, Mo., others say Hawaii.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.