1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

University of Alabama football recruiting reporter/writer/columnist needed

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Erik, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Actually, I have found that not writing -- and being out of journalism -- has paid pretty well. And DEFINITELY better than the peanuts-per-byline this one will toss your way.

PM me if you don't believe.

rb

2. LevinTBlack

LevinTBlack Member

Well this is a site and a thread for people to find journalism jobs. If you aren't in journalism anymore and are just posting in job threads saying the pay sucks so get out then why even post at all? I might be taking your post the wrong way but to me it reads like you are bragging about making a lot more money by leaving journalism behind. Why bother posting in the job threads? The people here are here to find journalism jobs and don't care if you are making a lot more money doing something else.

3. bsugrad

bsugrad New Member

That's good stuff right there, Levin T. Black.

4. LevinTBlack

LevinTBlack Member

Thanks Wood

5. bsugrad

bsugrad New Member

You're welcome.

6. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

I think you read a little much into my post. All I said was that they pay -- for this particular job -- will suck. A good friend of mine tried for this job a couple years back, and found that actually staying unemployed and drawing the weekly gubment check was a better deal than the one that was offered.

So yeah, if you want to write for peanuts ... great. Fire away at Erik, a good guy who does solid work.

rb

7. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

With any of these recruiting gigs, keep in mind that much of your job will revolve around cold-calling some of the nation's top prospects - the same kids who never signed up for any of the attention from recruiting sites and, if they did, will tire of it by August.

I know a couple of people who absolutely dread these kinds of jobs, especially because a lot of them count bylines and depend on certain interviews every week. And if the kid doesn't answer the phone - which, there's a strong chance he won't - you're out of luck.

8. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

The kids just have to realize it comes with the territory.

Draft saved Draft deleted