1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

University of Alabama beat writer

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Randy Kennedy, Aug 25, 2010.

1. Gentry Estes

Gentry Estes New Member

Hey folks, I obviously have a pretty strong understanding about this one, so I’m here to offer my thoughts.

First off, you can’t ask for a better boss in this business than Randy Kennedy. For three years, I received nothing but support from Mobile, and my reasons for taking the next opportunity had nothing at all to do with my current employer. If anything, that’s what I’ll miss most about it. You would never regret making a move to work for Randy. He’s as good as there is.

Covering Alabama under Nick Saban is a unique, unforgettable and highly demanding experience. It's not for the timid or for someone looking at this only as a short-term stepping stone to something else. It's too high-profile and too competitive for that. You've got to want to be here and invest everything into making it work. That includes being willing to grind, tweet, blog and chase rumors at all hours while accepting the fact that many times you'll come up empty. But for someone willing to do that, the rewards can be great. I've convinced this is a better job now than in the recent past because of the increased national spotlight on the team, social networking opportunities and the recent agreement to share stories between the Birmingham, Mobile and Huntsville newspapers. From day one, you'll be the most-read daily newspaper beat writer in the state, essentially a local celebrity like few other places. Alabama fans demand a high level of coverage and remain convinced that all media is out to get them anyway. So every single word you write will be analyzed thoroughly in all platforms.

You’ll have help in that you’ll be working alongside Don Kausler each day. Don is a pro’s pro, a good veteran journalist and above all a team player, which is probably the most important quality on what is now a two-man beat.

A lot of the nightmares you’ll hear about Saban and access are true, but that can work both ways. Without question, it will make your job each day more difficult, but it will also make you a better reporter while leveling the playing field. A newbie on the beat won’t be playing from behind as much at Alabama, because there are very few secret sources out there handing scoops to anyone. In other words, the setup will piss you off at times, but it also rewards diligence and hard work.

If anyone has any questions, don’t hesitate to private message me.

Gentry

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I've always heard really good things about Kennedy. I haven't seen the paper in a few years, but I always thought Mobile was the best paper in Alabama by a mile and one of the best papers of its size in the country.

3. Mizzougrad96

I'll bet this one is filled by the end of the week.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mobile has hired Izzy Gould from the St. Pete Times to cover Bama.

Outstanding hire.

5. Izzy's been consistently great at the Times, he'll do well on the new beat.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Former correspondent at 1 Herald Plaza. Congrats to Izzy.

7. SEC Guy

SEC Guy Member

Did a great job covering Arkansas a few years back.

Great hire. Great kid.

8. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Lots of great SEC jobs filled in last month or so. Izzy's a smart hire and I'm happy to see him back covering colleges.

9. I think he's in his 30s. He has kids of his own.

10. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

Anybody hear anything about whether the St. Pete preps job Izzy leaves will be open?

11. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Godspeed, Izzy.

Izzy gonna be at the Bama-Penn State game?

12. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

YOU'RE... ah, screw it, that line's getting too easy. Congratulations to Izzy and best of luck in your new gig!

Draft saved Draft deleted