1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

University of Alabama beat writer

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Randy Kennedy, Aug 25, 2010.

1. Randy Kennedy

Randy Kennedy New Member

Many of you have already heard that Gentry Estes is leaving our Tuscaloosa Sports Bureau to cover Georgia for 24/7 Sports. Gentry has done a great job for us, so we've got some big shoes to fill.
    We recently went to a two-person bureau that covers University of Alabama sports for all three of our state papers, which has led to some great coveage so far. The successful candidate will have the pleasure of working alongside Don Kausler on the beat.
    There are no "No. 1" or "No. 2" designations on the beat. Both reporters cover all football games and both are responsible for breaking news. Beyond that, the duties are divided up according to the strengths of the reporters.
    Obviously, the timing is not great, so please contact me as soon as possible if you are interested.
    Thanks, Randy Kennedy

Date: 8/25/10 Paper: The Birmingham News/Mobile Press-Register/Huntsville Times
    Job: Alabama beat writer
    Phone: (251) 219-5689
    Advance Publications has an immediate opening for our University of Alabama sports beat. The successful candidate will live in Tuscaloosa and must have a passion for breaking news online and in print, telling compelling stories and competing on one of the most high-profile college beats in the country. Candidates should send a résumé and clips to Sports Editor Randy Kennedy at rkennedy@press-register.com or to 401 N. Water, St., Mobile AL, 36602.

2. newspaperman

newspaperman Member

I'm sure this will birth much interest. Wonder if I should take a shot; I'm sure they're looking for a more tenured scribe, though.

3. spud

spud Member

I do not envy the guy who has to work with Orange Satan on a year-round bases.

4. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

i wonder if you have to lose to Randy at the poker table to have a shot at this job?

5. FuerteJ

FuerteJ Active Member

I can honestly say working for Randy is a blessing. Very good boss. Also, Gentry did a hell of a job, is a good guy and will be hard to replace.

But I know for certain he'll enjoy the hell out of Athens.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I'm sure you'll cover all the basis.

Is the other guy on this beat a former SE in SC somewhere or am I confused as usual?

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

That's him.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Some of the vets around here can hopefully answer this...

Where does Alabama rank on the "most competitive/difficult beats in college football" list?

I admire the hell out of people who would jump at this kind of job. Couldn't pay me any less than 6 figures to do it.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

Anderson, S.C.

10. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Do you have to interview with Saban to get this job? Oh, wait, I forgot---he is inaccessible. Never mind.

11. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

That's correct. Former managing editor at the Anderson Independent-Mail.

12. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Nick Saban alone is reason to demand more money.

Your beat is your livelihood in many instances. Nick Saban will do whatever he can to make your life difficult. It will wear on you very, very fast. Throw in the insane Alabama fans, and you've got a job that's part awesome, part hell.

Draft saved Draft deleted