1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

University of Alabama beat writer: The Birmingham News

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Rockbottom, Jul 7, 2006.

1. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

Here's a thought:
    Get me a cold beer, newbie.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Didn't Doug Walker just go from Notre Dame to Alabama as assistant AD for media relations? I knew Doug when he was at Miami. Was good to deal with then.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

If Notre Dame didn't change him, Alabama will...

4. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

1. The football complex is known as Fort Shula. Total bunker mentality. Buck-passing is the norm for the SID and other administration.

2. Cecil Hurt's been covering Bama since 1976 when he worked at the Crimson White. He's plugged in. He doesn't get "spoon fed" everything, but he's the hometown guy, he knows everyone and they know him. Thirty years of coverage has its advantages.

Just as a most recent example, when the baseball SID of 10+ years couldn't get to see the coach, or get his calls returned during the speculation about the LSU coaching search, Hurt was in said coach's office talking to him for a story.

Hurt broke the story that Wells was categorically pulling out for the LSU job with full quotes from the coach, and about an hour or two later the SID put out a press release WITH THE EXACT SAME QUOTES that were used in Hurt's story.

5. chazp

chazp Active Member

What about Paul Breaudy? He's in limbo since the Post Herarld bought the farm. He's a solid writer, he would be a good choice.

6. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

I don't think that either Paul Breaudy, formerly of the Birmingham Post-Herarld, or his alter ego, Paul Beaudry formerly of the Birmingham Post-Herald, would be who they're looking for in that spot. Not sure he'd want it either. I know he covered colleges in the past, but he's more of a prep/GA/features guy.

7. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

I think Paul is in semiretirement now, put out to pasture by an industry that failed him. That or he's unemployable. He probably could make a living playing cards, though. I hear he's a helluva poker player.

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I think Brasky Paul was hustling pool and rolling winos in 5 Points the other night. ;)

9. PaseanaARG

PaseanaARG Guest

I love that Evan Woodbery's name was put out there. Bravo. I think his true calling is biting satire, though he's a fine beat writer in my estimation.

I'm still laughing. Talk about a self-out. ;D

10. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

I once saw Paul impale himself on a pool cue just to up the ante of his next victim. An hour later, he performed an emergency spleen transplant.
    The guy Paul beat couldn't pay off the bet, so Paul took the guy's spleen instead.

11. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

I saw paul play Texas Hold em at three different tables at the same time, taking down some of the legends of the game on all three, while drinking Guiness and doing an enterprise piece on the dangers of heat exhaustion in youth league baseball.
    the guy is too good for the alabama beat.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I once saw Paul kill a man, just to watch him die...

Draft saved Draft deleted