1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

University of Alabama beat writer: The Birmingham News

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Rockbottom, Jul 7, 2006.

1. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

And I believe Veazey was seriously considered for that GA gig, too. Either way, the News has at least two top-notch candidates close to home. Won't go wrong with either Jon or Kyle.

2. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

Solomon would be an excellent fit for the job, as a temporary fill because of the lateness of this hire or otherwise. I know the people at Clemson celebrated openly when he left to take
    his current gig in Birmingham, which says a lot about the bulldog nature he brought to that beat.
    That sort of attitude would fit in well on the 'Bama beat, which is a big-boy only kind of job, especially in Birmingham.
    You've got great writers in the Newhouse chain in Huntsville and Mobile, the aforementioned Veazey in Decatur, and of course, the 800 pound gorilla in Tuscaloosa named Cecil Hurt (and the cast of thousands the T-News throws at 'Bama).
    It's a great job, but certainly not easy.

3. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

I am told, again by my friends in the bidness, that Solomon was promised when he took the GA gig in Birmingham that he would not be asked to go back on any beat.

rb

4. accguy

accguy Member

I echo what Moddy said. Why would Jon Solomon want this job? He had a beat job before and now can do bigger/cooler/more interesting things. I know I'd rather write big picture stories that you can actually have a couple of days to work on than write about pulled hamstrings. And that doesn't even mention the quality of life issues.

5. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

maybe they'll let goldberg do auburn and alabama.
    no word on what steve kirk's going to do?

6. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

My peeps tell me Capt. Kirk will work for an internet-based community sports firm in Dallas.

rb

7. They could split the beat between Melick and Solomon for the time being until they find someone to fill the position. Just a thought.

8. this_guy

this_guy Guest

That would seem like the logical thing to do.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

From the Moddy Pipeline:

The hire more than likely will come from outside, since no one in house has expressed an interest. It won't be shuffling current beats. The SE has many "quality" candidates who've already sent in their stuff.

Ray Melick wouldn't go back to Alabama. The Executive editor at the paper loves the fact Ray does a radio show and there's no way Ray would go back to a beat -- especially one that would conflict many times with his 4-6 radio gig.

10. Hed bust

Hed bust Guest

Exactly. This is the feeling of more and more people in this business.
    This slot will be filled by someone under 30, I'm guessing. Maybe under 25, though that may be a stretch of a decision considering how big this paper is and how many people read it.
    The hiring eds will want someone who knows what they are doing and also has good writing flow and english skills.

11. Beach_Bum

Beach_Bum Member

The Birmingham News is not going to hand their No. 1 beat to a youngster unless that person is a super effing stud. There is too much competition and that beat is too important.

12. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Hmmm.

Draft saved Draft deleted