1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

University of Alabama beat writer: The Birmingham News

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Rockbottom, Jul 7, 2006.

1. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

Veazey would be a good choice to make the move up. He knows his stuff and has been around the SEC.

He has my vote.

2. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

I wouldn't count on a quick hire here. It took like 4 months for the last B'ham News opening to get filled -- a long interview process that ended with a couple people turning down the gig before Solomon was hired.

3. Hed bust

Hed bust Guest

I know a prep writer at a large paper in Mississippi who's been on a college beat before but wouldn't touch this.
    This individual, I think, prefers the grind of his current beat over covering a college.
    Though this sounds really good, lots of people already firmly entrenched but working less-glamourous beats will not be interested in this AT ALL>

4. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

Isn't this the flagship of the CNHI franchise? I thought it was, but I'm not sure.

5. flaming_mo

flaming_mo Guest

Newhouse.

It will pay very well, I'm sure.

6. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

Trust me, this position will likely be filled from within.

Source in the chain confirms that Newhouse papers in Alabama are in the midst of a hiring freeze, although something tells me this might be considered an exception to that edict.

If for some reason they do go outside The News, Kyle Veazey would be a fine hire. Don't see the Decatur paper much, but I've liked his work when I've had a chance to read it. He also seems like a good guy when we've been covering an event together.

Maybe it's time for Charles Hollis to unchain himself from the desk.

7. busch

busch Member

This one will not be filled from within

8. Veazey does nice work for the Decatur Daily. I've met him and he's a good guy.

Mark Edwards also is a good sports editor in Decatur.

I've noticed Ray Melick has been doing a lot of Alabama stories recently along with Solomon.

Melick did one today.

9. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

I'll pretend I didn't just read "Mark Edwards also is a good sports editor in Decatur."  :eek:

10. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

if it is filled from within, i'm betting solomon gets it. Melick has been through that grind and I doubt he wants the 24/7/365 hell that comes with covering Bama again.

11. Beach_Bum

Beach_Bum Member

I cannot see Ray Melick, at this stage of his career, giving up the cushy columnist gig and the radio/TV he does in order to go back to the grind of the Alabama beat. No way. Unless they make him because they think they could upgrade the columnist slot. I don't see that happening, either.

I think Tom will move Solomon to Alabama and hire a replacement for the GA slot. Slappy should get strong consideration for that.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Would Solomon want that? Didn't he just move down there, to do GA/Enterprise?

Draft saved Draft deleted