1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

University of Alabama beat writer: The Birmingham News

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Rockbottom, Jul 7, 2006.

1. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

I was just kidding with the 'thanks for stopping by bit.' You know, toeing the company line?

Sorry to kickstart the firestorm.

Good discussion, FWIW, though, and the lad from Clarion has my kudos as well.

2. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

I'll agree with the first part of that statement. Big-time underachiever.

Top 3-4? Don't know about that.

3. Beach_Bum

Beach_Bum Member

They have the resources to do it. What they don't have is the pro presence of, say, KC and Palm Beach, which hurts badly in contest. Mostly what they lack is the vision and motivation, IMO. They play it too safe and predictable. They don't do enough enterprise. Their centerpieces too often are news of the day vs. taking initiative to plan. Very little in the way of design pop, either. They don't do much to inspire or improve the writers they do have, which is actually a pretty solid stable. They are solid all around, though. Just could be so much better with some effort.

Their goal every day should be to be a top 5 section.

4. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

And as someone else said, letting Jon Solomon do what he's capable of could do much to cure that.

5. PaseanaARG

PaseanaARG Guest

I don't find that surprising at all.

ALSO: I want to add what seems to be a cursory plug for Ian R. I think he's going to be a winner, and it's a very positive development for the News. I don't understand why he wasn't the top guy all along. I really don't.

6. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

SportsJournalists.com's newest member.

Awaiting the first post with bated breath

7. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

He was lurking previously, sources indicate.

8. ronalong

ronalong Guest

Check the most recent APA awards and see if the B-ham News is dominant. Notice the total of awards for sports the Huntsville Times took compared to B-ham and the number of first place awards Huntsville won. Then someone tell us with a straight face, how dominant the News is.

9. alanpagerules

alanpagerules Member

Well, here's a link to the award winners. Decide for yourself.

http://www.alabamapress.org/uploads/06%20BNC%20Press%20Release.pdf

10. ronalong

ronalong Guest

To the sender of the personal message and for everyone else's info, NO I DO NOT WORK AT THE HUNTSVILLE TIMES.

11. PaseanaARG

PaseanaARG Guest

Journalist. Preacher. Mutually exclusive?

12. alanpagerules

alanpagerules Member

I'll make it very easy for you since there are only five cetagories for sports.

Category 3 — Best Sports Page
    Division A
    1st place Press-Register (Mobile)
    2nd place The Birmingham News
    3rd place The Huntsville Times

Category 18 — Best Sports News In-Depth Story or Series
    Division A
    1st place The Tuscaloosa News for “Cottrell alleges three-way conspiracy” by Christopher Walsh
    2nd place The Tuscaloosa News for “Jury selection starts Monday in Young trial” by Christopher Walsh
    3rd place The Birmingham News for “Playing and Praying” by staff

Category 19 — Best Sports Single Event Story
    Division A
    1st place The Birmingham News for “Shula gets first signature win as Tide routs Gators” by Steve Kirk
    2nd place Montgomery Advertiser for “Auburn bolts to big early lead, blows by Crimson Tide” by Jay G. Tate
    3rd place The Tuscaloosa News for “Where do we go from here?” by Christopher Walsh

Category 20 — Best Sports Feature Story
    Division A
    1st place Press-Register (Mobile) for “The Battle of Murder Creek” by Mike Herndon
    2nd place The Birmingham News for “People love to hate him, but he knows they’re listening” by Bob Carlton
    3rd place The Tuscaloosa News for “Family Circus” by Christopher Walsh

Category 21 — Best Local Sports Column
    Division A
    1st place The Huntsville Times for “Regardless of verdict, Logan Young already has lost” by Mark McCarter
    2nd place The Birmingham News for “Culpepper left hanging by judge and jury” by Kevin Scarbinsky
    3rd place TimesDaily (Florence) for “Ward’s stay with ‘Cats too short” by Gregg Dewalt

Draft saved Draft deleted