1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

University of Alabama beat writer: The Birmingham News

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Rockbottom, Jul 7, 2006.

1. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Friends close to the bidness inform me that Steve Kirk is getting out of said bidness -- resulting in an University of Alabama opening at The Birmingham News.

Needless to say, I would think they would move rather swiftly on this. SEC Media Days are three short weeks away. I would also wager 1,000 pennies that they might go from within -- for now.

Let the rampant speculation begin!

rb

2. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

wow

steve's one of the best around and a helluva guy to boot

3. Lion_Woods

Lion_Woods Active Member

I second that. I met Steve during my early days and he was really nice to a young fella.

4. Bill Horton

Bill Horton Active Member

where is Steve going?

5. YankeessSuck

YankeessSuck Member

My vote goes for Ray Melick. He's mostly writing columns now, but he was always a good guy on the beat.

6. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

that's somewhat of a shocker, but the alabama beat will wear you down in a heartbeat.
    Steve's a class guy. Any clue as to what he's going to do?

7. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

is slappy the leader in the clubhouse?
    or young kyle veazey of the decatur daily?
    one person who will not be applying -- 2underpar -- so let's not speculate on his availability.

8. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

guy on my beat called this beat 'the worst beat in america' and i just laughed at him -- told him it's cake compared to 'bama

9. Bill Horton

Bill Horton Active Member

wonder how it will change with a new SID? Some people loved Larry White, some didn't, but things are bound to change no matter what.

10. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

If Jon Solomon wants this job, it should be his.
    Tom Arenberg is a hell of an editor, and Jon was his recent GA hire after covering Clemson for the State. Jon would need one year, and maybe only one or two guys on that beat would be able to touch him.

11. The editor is Tom Arenberg.

I think it could be Jon Solomon's job if he wants it.

12. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Veazey wouldn't be a bad choice. I've seen his stuff, he does good work.
    But I've often heard that regional papers don't like to hire guys/gals that work for the smaller papers in the same region.
    They bring with them the knowledge of the beat, but they also bring some baggage since the readers/fans may have already formed an opinion and it might not be good. Or at least that was the tortured reasoning I heard once from a regular, named and respected poster on this board.
    The B'Ham News is a good rag and this is, arguably, the top beat at the paper. OK, I forgot Samford...

Draft saved Draft deleted