1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

University fires $100k/year social media director for lying on resume

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by WolvEagle, Dec 12, 2012.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I left school a class short of a degree. I even went back a couple years later and took the class online, but I've still never gotten around to filing all the paperwork to consider myself officially graduated.

But I make sure everyone I interview with knows exactly that and it doesn't say I have the degree on my resume.

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The hell they are. Universities make gobs of money off of people who show up for a year, fuck around, blow some cash, and drop out. That's why entrance standards suck.

3. Well, let's shift the terms of the debate here: You have $100,000 to hire a top-level social media person. And you spend it on a local newspaper reporter, who probably doubles her salary in the process? Hmmmm. Smells fishy.

Regardless of whether you feel such a job deserves such a salary, it's hard to envision that her market value commanded such a sum.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

The whole thing is retarded.

First, $100k for that job?!?!? Are you nuts? SIDs work twice as hard and don't make half that much.

Second, any family member who gets involved in stuff like that should be shot in the head on site. No questions asked.

Third, so what if she didn't actually graduate? What the heck difference does it make, unless she needed some license to do the job? Besides, if it is that big of a deal, why didn't the university look into it at the time of the hiring?

Posting this stuff online is a huge invasion of privacy.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

File it under "government waste" -- which it is -- and you'd feel different.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Do you honestly think the SID at the University of Michigan makes $50000 a year?

7. The Michigan SID's salary was $106K last year.

Good luck getting a job at a university without a degree unless you're scrubbing toilets or working in the cafeteria.

As for SIDs, they are underpaid because there are plenty of applicants. Ask yourself how much value do SIDs bring to athletics programs, especially at smaller schools were the athletics programs are bleeding money.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

My guess is the head SID might make a little more than that. The assistants, probably quite less.

You can argue all day about the value of one position vs. another. It's in the eye of the beholder. Some people will argue the mere existence of collegiate athletic departments is a huge waste of resources.

I've seen some jobs (often in government) that pay extreme amounts and this is just another one.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

But it's not an "extreme amount." The $100K salary is in line with what other Big Ten universities pay for the same position. In the private sector, the salaries for a Social Media Director - especially for one expected to drive new business to the company - are higher.

I'll grant Alma's point regarding salary inflation across the board in academia absolutely. But the market is the market is the market. And if your Social Media Director can conjure a million a year in additional alumni donations by knowing how to build online communities, that 100 grand is well spent.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Fine, if they want to pay it, more power to the recipient.

It just seems awkward to the many of us who worked for years --- and decades --- in a business that sort of devalued people, where we were told we were doing well to make $30k and work 50 hours a week, including weekends and holidays. Then we turn around and see a 31-year-old who didn't even graduate from college making $100k for doing that job? How is that supposed to make sense?

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

apply for the job.

12. It's Michigan and the big schools pay the cash. Don't expect the same type of treatment at crappy Division I schools without football.

Draft saved Draft deleted