1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

University fires $100k/year social media director for lying on resume

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by WolvEagle, Dec 12, 2012.

1. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

This is exactly right. Many of these "open" searches are anything but.

As an aside, does anyone think she shouldn't have been fired? I mean, if it really was just one class, and she was good at the job....I dunno, seems like letting her take the stupid class would have been OK.
    [/quote]

Printit - Quick clarification. She resigned. She was not fired, though I'm willing to guess she would have been had she not resigned.

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I'd bet folding money the search -- even if it was a semi-bogus one -- specified that minimum qualifications included a college degree, probably in some specific discipline(s). Even when you're in the administrative ranks, claiming you've got a degree when you don't is a big-ass no-no in higher education.

This brings to mind a semi-related incident from early in my career. I was on a hiring committee for a tenure-track assistant professor in computer information systems. One of the applicants didn't even have an undergraduate degree. He said in his cover letter that he didn't think credentials were all that important. And, in the big picture of things, he was probably right. But the thing is, when you get right down to it, universities are in the business of selling credentials. So telling students they need those credentials while also saying that their instructors don't need 'em would be a pretty hard sell.

3. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

Facebook posting from a friend who is close to the situation, and whom I really, really respect: "I am amazed at how we humans continue to find new ways to hurt each other ... just because we can."

4. printit

printit Member

This is a great point, one that I thought of and should have included above. A university is in a tough spot to tell someone that a university degree is not needed. But, as a practical matter (not that practical matters were that big a deal in my university days) is there no statute of limitations on something like this. She lied. She would not have gotten the job but for the lie. That is not fair to whoever (whomever? crossthread) would have gotten the job. Say she had been doing this job well for 5 years. For 10 years. For 15 years. If it really was one credit, I think I would have let her take the class and punish her in some other way.

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Lets not devalue what social media managers and directors do for a living. I don't see you complaining about Michigan's television ads or billboards. Why is social media different? It is an essential part of the new media mix. Moreover, as a social media analyst i can tell you that social media ROI can be measured just as easily as ROI for other types of advertising.

I would know because I do it every day. I go to clients, I prove to them what we have earned in terms of earned impressions, actions, brand awareness, customer loyalty and much more. And to anyone who thinks these folks sit at their desks and just Tweet, do you just sit at your desk and type shit all day? No.

A social media director or manager is tasked with managing large budgets, staffs, many agency partners and meeting numbers by measuring results. Its not easy and the pay is justified. If anything, I'd say $100k for a job directing the presence as large as Michigan's isn't enough. I know directors managing smaller ecosystems with double the salaries - don't believe me. Go to Indeed.com, Paysale.com, etc. and see for yourself.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

One thing I would add is this: Why in the world didn't she figure out some way to get the damn degree completed? I mean, most schools these days offer plenty of opportunities to complete degrees. They have online courses, transfer opportunities, etc. If it was just a matter of a course or two, she wouldn't have had all that difficult a time finishing it up. Which makes me think it wasn't just a matter of a course or two.

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Bullshit. Proof or GTFO. Entry level community managers make that. And we're not talking about big cities like NY, Chi or LA.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Immutable internet law: jobs with which I am unfamiliar can never pay more than my own.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

He could sue. His right to work would be violated. ;D

10. A tweet from December 5.

https://twitter.com/jordanmiller/status/276314776311836674

In her case, a degree turned out to be a golden ticket.

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

People resent others making more money then themselves. There is nothing stopping Wolveagle from applying for this.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Exactly right, with a little envy thrown in for good measure.

Draft saved Draft deleted