1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

University fires $100k/year social media director for lying on resume

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by WolvEagle, Dec 12, 2012.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Yes, because I'm sure that person just sat at her desk sending out tweets whenever she felt the need.

Seriously?

2. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

Yes, seriously. $100K for this job is ridiculous. And it's my taxpayer dollars supporting this.

Yes, social media is important - I get that. It's not $100k a year of taxpayer cash important, especially in a state that was hit hard by this recession and still hasn't recovered. U-M spends money like it's going out of style.

Shouldn't a university be more focused on things like, say, teaching their students? That's why I'm glad my son didn't go to a school with all this unnecessary side crap. He's paying a lot less money for a good education (and, yes, a college education is what you make of it, whether you're at a community college or a so-called "elite" school).

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  3. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

And, since this is a sports website, it should be noted that U-M's athletic department does not draw money from the university's general fund.

4. Hell, I don't think it started well. Given these two, I wouldn't surprised if they met at a Jersey Shore screening party.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Out of touch much?

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I've seen some of these kinds of things at universities at which I've worked (I should note that I've never worked at an institution as big (either in actual size or prominence) as the U of M. Lots of these well-paid sinecures simply evolve ... Person X has some sort of a gig and then, over time, insinuates him/herself into more and more responsibility. My college (one of several at my university) appears to be beginning the process of hiring a dedicated webmaster. I'll lay odds that in five years whoever they hire will have a staff. That's the way these things go.

One twist to this story I would not be surprised to hear (note that I am not asserting that this is what happened, but I would not be surprised at all by it) is that the hiring of this degree-less gal involved a search that wasn't as wide-open as it should have been. Indeed, there might be a higher-level administrator sweating bullets today.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

As true as that all is, including the possibility of some interdepartmental groping in the supply closet, the U of M has a Facebook presence of nearly half a million. www.facebook.com/universityofmichigan

U of M football, over a million. www.facebook.com/michiganfball

Many of which (or whom) constitute potential revenue for the University.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It's way too much money for that. It's a good example of how institutions overvalue social media skills that most employees already in place could learn.

10. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

If it weren't for Twitter and the need to be first as opposed to right, this would not have happened.

Darn social media.

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

The mechanics of using social media are not what this position is ostensibly for. Rather, this position is to ensure that the university speaks with a common/consistent voice when it avails itself of social media. My word, can you imagine the cacophony that could follow dozens/hundreds/thousands of UofM social media-ers doing their own thing?

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I'd fire him, too, if I were UM, especially now that Michigan is a right-to-work state.

Draft saved Draft deleted