1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Universal Desks

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ColbertNation, Jan 23, 2007.

1. ARD

ARD Member

On a universal desk now, for the first time. I like the variety. ... The news eds sort it all out here. The people who know sports are assigned the sports stories. Seems to work fine.

2. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

A few years ago, my paper (18K daily) thought about going to a universal desk. Didn't happen.

The A-B section desk (staff of four) could probably pull it off though. They're all sports fans and when they do pages for us on rare occasions/extremely busy nights, they have done a good job.

I'm not for sure they would want to lay out a news section and then have to do 4+ pages of sports, though.

3. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

They've been promising us one for months. Even the publisher has said that we're going to do it, to help facilitate their recent mandate to have an entirely local section front every single day, no exceptions, not even for the Super Bowl, World Series, etc. We're a three-man team with no stringers at a seven-day daily, I might add. So the help would be greatly appreciated if it ever happens. We all doubt that it will.

I might also add that I am currently looking for a new job.

Draft saved Draft deleted