1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Universal Copy/Design Desk (request for help)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by usermane, Feb 13, 2011.

1. usermane

usermane New Member

Anybody else on a universal desk willing to talk via PM about how stuff gets done?

2. usermane

usermane New Member

Bump for near utter and complete lack of response.

/oh well

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

It's like watching sausage being made ... you don't want to know ;)

Seriously, I'll offer this advice. It's a discussion forum. We interact and share ideas on what does and doesn't work. I've turned here a couple of times for advice and haven't been sold a bum steer yet. But if all you want are PM's, nobody's going to learn a thing.

4. usermane

usermane New Member

Certainly don't have any problems chatting in the thread. Just wasn't sure if we were going to approach the point where folks would feel like they were outing themselves.

5. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

@usermane: If you have a specific question or concern about a universal desk setup, I think you can post about it without "outing" yourself. There are still quite a few copy desks organized in this way.

Here's my quick take on the universal desk (from my previous shop):

PROS: If the jobs/duties truly are rotated around, it keeps people fresh. Even those of us who were "raised" as reporters and are now deskers enjoy getting the chance to design a lifestyle section front once in a while. For younger/newer copy editors, it's good experience (and good for your clip file) to do a few A1 and lifestyle section fronts, instead of a steady diet of inside news pages.

CONS: It is horribly inefficient to try and train everyone to do all the specialty pages (baseball page, obits, Dear Abby/puzzle page, etc.). And not every copy editor works well under the nightly deadline pressure that is sports. Some deskers know how to set things up and anticipate what late copy/photos will come in, and for others, it drives them crazy to start a page when they don't have everything in the system.

Draft saved Draft deleted