1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Univ. of South Carolina beat reporter, Greenville News

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by MU_was_not_so_hard, Oct 9, 2008.

1. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Good gosh, that is awful.

2. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Stupid is more like it.

Whatever Joe Fanboi or Janice Fangirl think about a personnel change is absolutely irrelevant.

3. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

That's what the fucking comments section is for. Or talk radio.

4. The golf portion of this job seems to be true, so I've heard. SportsJournalists.com legend John Brasier is supposedly in the running for this gig and has had, along with two others, multiple interviews. The ME makes all the hires, so the SE is sort of handcuffed. That probably explains the delay somewhat.

The golf part of the job is a mystery because they were talking to people about that back during Masters time. And outside of local tourneys, the Masters and Heritage are the only logical events, and those were crossed off several years ago, at least for week-long coverage.

Until a Scoppe replacement is found, Willie T. Smith is filling in. The new description appears to be to drive to Columbia for the presser (Tuesday), game days, and perhaps one other day.

Travel has been hit and miss. When the Chickens were in the Liberty Bowl, Scoppe was the last beat writer to arrive in Memphis, on game day. He has colorful stories about travel not getting approved for long trips like Memphis, Nashville, Lexington, until very very late. Good guy, solid reporter who has given The State some competition at times, but boy, don't let the wireless go down in the press box, or he'll heave his computer to the 50-yard line.

5. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

I don't even know where to begin.

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Being the SE in a situation like this doesn't sound too good. And it could get worse in a hurry.

7. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Yes and no.
    Sure, he's not in complete control of his section, but he's also got a pretty sweet writing gig. Not too many SEs at 90k circ papers are also the columnist. If I'm not mistaken, he's free enough to do regular radio work.

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

If not for my present situation, I'd be all over this. Sorry guys. <reporter1>

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I once worked at a Gannett paper that went a bit overboard with the minority quota thing.... especially being located in a county that was something like 90 percent caucasian.

The intent was fine, but when it becomes a bean-counter "How many minority names and photos were in today's edition?" thing, it gets a little old.

10. Magnum

Magnum Member

He's also got an ASE who pretty much handles the desk and day to day stuff.

11. longgone

longgone Member

Part of the challenge here will be replacing Scoppe, who did a great job under very stressful circumstances. He often out-reported The State and was relentless at working sources. He's definitely a Type A personality, but that can have its positives. Greenville is a great town and should have a much better paper. The News has been over-Gannettized. Fifteen years ago, it was a very fine medium-sized paper. Now it's a shadow of that, and the design is retched. The EE and ME definitely overmanage the sports department, which has lost some really good people over the last few years, primarily because of frustrations with management and Gannettism. It used to have some really fine writing and great coverage of Clemson, USC, NASCAR and preps. Now much of that is gone.

12. CLH85

CLH85 New Member

Do they have a minimum experience level? I've been working for a county newspaper one county over from Greenville since late August. I interned with the Greenville News during my last semester of college last fall. Right now I'm stuck doing news and sports and I hate it. I have been covering Clemson this year though. Does anyone think I have a chance at this position? Honesty is appreciated.

Draft saved Draft deleted