1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Univ. of Oregon to hire CSF's Horton to start baseball program ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Claws for Concern, Sep 2, 2007.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I'm guessing OSU's College World Series title lit a fire under Oregon's behind to reinstate baseball as a varsity sport?

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Yeppers. Least that's what we heard out in this part of the world.

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Can someone fill me in on the Pac-10's baseball lineup? I recall several other schools being in the league for baseball.

4. RayKinsella

RayKinsella Member

Thoughts on Rich Hill?

5. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Yes it is... but with an asterisk.

Fullerton won't PAY like a top-five program. And with the insane OC cost of living, the large cast of potential characters may get trimmed a bit.

6. Kaylee

Kaylee Member

I'd have to gently disagree. Though it showed poorly in the regionals and super-regionals this season, the SEC still seems to be ahead of the rest of the country in terms of talent, national success, facilities and coaching.

Vanderbilt was the wire-to-wire No. 1 team for the regular season, and had arguably the nation's top pitcher (David Price) and position player (Pedro Alvarez.) And remember, it was Vandy coach Tim Corbin who was initially at the top of Oregon's wish list.

Below that, the two Mississippi schools are perennially good. Kentucky may be one of the nation's top hitting programs. Arkansas had a stellar Friday-through-Sunday rotation last year, and may have the best yard in the country. LSU will rebuild quickly under Maineri. Auburn and Alabama hurt the league, but both have some history and tradition.

One might even argue that the Big 12 bests the Pac 10, though certain teams with recent success (Nebraska, Kansas) took a step back last season.

7. occasionally

occasionally Member

While you're at it, don't forget Auburn, Florida State, Ole Miss' and Tennessee's forthcoming renovations, etc.
    Part of what makes all of the above special isn't just the facility, though -- they draw people and have atmosphere. Just because Oregon writes a check and flips a switch doesn't give them the atmosphere.
    In thinking of uni's, I can't help but think of the Pirates in the '70s. Just substitute black for green.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I love the knee-jerk reaction by Nike throwing money at Oregon to start baseball. It has bought them credibility in the same way the WFL lured Csonka and Kiick and the USFL got Herschel. In two years when the Duck program is off the ground and Oregon State's run is over (maybe). I'll be interested in how much interest there will be in Ducks baseball. It's good for Oregon State, though I'm sure a baseball player with strong Duck ties will go to Eugene, I don't think they'll lose much locally. Casey's from the Northwest, and knows how to prepare a team during a rainy season.

9. Kaylee

Kaylee Member

You're right, and thank God Tennessee is scrubbing up its yard. Way too much concrete there for my taste.

And I don't think Oregon will have a problem starting some buzz. I'm guessing they'll promote the program well, and a big-name coach to go with a slick stadium will show they're serious. This is a good time to start a program, because the college game is more popular now than it's ever been and the juco pipeline helps promise immediate competitiveness.

But if they dress the team in the same shade of green sported by the football team, I'm throwing a fit. Baseball uniforms should not look like nuclear yak puke.

10. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

True that, but that was the result of two raises Horton wangled in the wake of UCLA and LSU overtures. I'm not sure they pay their new coach that kind of coin at the outset.

11. Mmac

Mmac Guest

Didn't even realize Oregon had dropped baseball. Might help explain why OSU became such a power without any real in-state recruiting rival.

12. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Oregon already has talent in-house, providing it actually takes a look at its club team. Had a chance to cover a regular season doubleheader against Weber State and the regional tournament ... there's Division I talent on the roster, to be sure.

The uniforms will probably change with the status upgrade, but the ones I saw were more of a Packer green.

Draft saved Draft deleted