1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Univ. of Iowa ath dept beat

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by JME, Apr 12, 2006.

1. JME

JME Member

http://journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=624851

Description:
    Newly Created Position for an investigative sports news and feature article reporter.
    University of Iowa Sports News Reporter

The sports news reporter has significant responsibility to identify, report and write high-impact articles on a wide range of topics, issues and developments pertaining to the University of Iowa athletics department – administration, coaches, athletics, policies, programs, etc.

This is not sports-events beat, but an assignment to pursue enterprise and investigative sports news and feature articles off the court/field.

We are seeking an experienced reporter who is highly motivated, competitive, creative, resourceful and productive. We need a self-starter who has the desire to look behind the scenes at how the athletics department operates.

The sports news reporter will check on budgets, finances, operations, departmental structure, trends, issues; cover the UI President's Commission on Athletics meetings; pursue Board of Regents developments that affect the administration of sports at the UI; make daily contact with UI athletics department officials; and develop sources in and outside of the traditional sports arena.

The sports news reporter will work with Gazette’s University of Iowa sports beat writers (football, basketball, wrestling) on stories outside the games/matches and press conferences, including coaching searches, job speculation and spot news.

The sports news reporter will maintain an awareness for unusual developments involving lower profile University of Iowa sports, such as swimming, gymnastics, soccer and volleyball, and will pursue all types of articles regarding any University of Iowa's athletes involvement in the community.

An hourly position, the sports news reporter will work out of the Iowa City newsroom or from the University of Iowa's athletics department. The position reports to the sports editor. In addition, the sports news reporter will work in collaboration with the news reporters in the Iowa City newsroom to provide essential news coverage of Iowa City on Saturdays. The work schedule for this position is Tuesday through Saturday.

Deadline to apply is May 5. Must maintain a valid driver's license and be company insurable. Pre-employment drug testing required.

Send cover letter, resume, recent clips and salary requirement to: Gazette Communications Attention: Sports News Reporter position 500 Third Avenue SE P.O. Box 511 Cedar Rapids, Iowa 52406 EOE

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Kudos to the Gazette for creating a position. Bet the University of Iowa folks are eager to see this job filled.

3. DENNY

DENNY Guest

Does this reporter have to live in the low-income housing project with the football team?

4. abesimpson22

abesimpson22 Guest

I hope every college town newspaper in America is paying attention to this posting.

About how much would a beat like this pay?

And what's the Gazette's circulation?

5. Tiger16

Tiger16 Member

Interesting to me that they emphasize hourly pay, then ask for salary requirement with the application.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It may just mean that your are eligible for OT!

7. Bubba Fett

Bubba Fett Active Member

OT? Not familiar with that.

8. flaming_mo

flaming_mo Guest

GAZETTE, CEDAR RAPIDS-MARION (LINN CO.) AVG M (M-F) DLY 61,424
    GAZETTE, CEDAR RAPIDS-MARION (LINN CO.) SAT M DLY 70,259
    GAZETTE, CEDAR RAPIDS-MARION (LINN CO.) SUN DLY 75,961

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It's extra money for working hard. To put it in terms you may understand -- it's kind of like the extra helping Colonel Tom got out of every contract he ever negotiated for Elvis.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Iowa City's a great college town. Lived there for 18 months and loved every second.

Kinnick Stadium's a special place on Saturdays in the fall, and Carver-Hawkeye is a madhouse some nights.

I worked at the Daily Iowan for a stretch, and I remember the editor was the foulest-mouthed girl — other than my mother — that I've ever met. But she was a cutie. Her name was Kristen something or another.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I just love that graf. Props, Xanax

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

For about a week until the first article comes out.

Draft saved Draft deleted