1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Univ. Miami football locker room no longer "open"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Speedway, Jul 30, 2008.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

so really, ace, stop being so cryptic. what are you really trying to say?

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If there is a more media-friendly big-time coach than Bowden, I've never met him.

I'm talking any major sport, pro or college.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I did tone it down a bit so as to not sound mean.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Beamer is the best but I'm shocked the call came right on time. His secretary always called it "Coach Beamer time" - which meant 20 minutes late.
    She'd call and say I was on for 2 p.m. Then she'd add, "Keep in mind Coach Beamer time!" So, if I'm back at my desk by 2:20, I'm OK. "Yes." Never failed.
    He's not as open with his practices as he once was - EVERYTHING used to be open - but he's still among the best.

5. Mizzougrad96

If you prefer a closed locker room to an open one, it says everything there is to know about you as a journalist.

6. Mizzougrad96

If a coach calls you within 20 minutes of when he says, he's gold in my book...

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I went to Virginia Tech about five years ago to do a feature on the program. Beamer came over to me during practice and asked how things were going, if I was getting everyone I needed, etc. He then recommended a couple of restaurants in Blacksburg, and asked me to come on his radio show that night from Beamer's, the sports bar. Urban Meyer does that, right?

8. The Granny

The Granny Guest

My father used to call Frank Beamer "Ass face." That always made me laugh.

But I digress ...

9. SEC Guy

SEC Guy Member

You wouldn't get that much face time with Florida's SID.

If Felton is the best in the business, (I haven't met all of them, but I'm not arguing) then Florida's SID is the worst.

10. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Please Shannon.... Just lose your 7 games this year and get the fuck out of here.

Hypocritical, dirty moron.

11. Couple notes:

1. The reason almost all practices are closed now isn't because coaches hate us. It's because of the Internet. Back in the old days, if Ohio State was playing Texas, the chances of something that appeared in the Columbus dispatch getting to Darrell Royal were slim and none. Today, Mack Brown would know within two minutes of it going online that Ohio State was working on a trick play.

2. Agree with Mizzou about the people who prefer closed locker rooms to open ones. But there certainly is that element in this profession - people who are just happy to be covering this stuff and getting to talk to "famous athletes." A lot of us have been so conditioned to do assembly line journalism that we think it's the norm. Hell, my school has gone off the deep end when reporters have called players' parents! They don't understand why you can't take your bread and water and be happy and honored to receive it.

Unfortunately, a lot of media people are starting to think that way, as well. They don't know any better. Don't think that's true? go read the autograph thread on here from a couple weeks ago.

12. Mizzougrad96

Unfortunately, there are a lot of people in this business who are happy to go to the games, cover the press conferences and use only the quotes off the quote sheet.

Draft saved Draft deleted