1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Univ. Miami football locker room no longer "open"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Speedway, Jul 30, 2008.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Is Florida State still open? I've heard that place at least used to be pretty media friendly.

I know Florida is typically one of the worst as far as access. My only surprise at this thread is that Miami's locker room was still open.

I'll bet if you looked at the preseason Top 25, I'll bet 20 have closed locker rooms. The exceptions would be a school that is known for being insanely media friendly (Georgia, Florida State) or a place from a smaller conference that needs the coverage.

2. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

It's been a couple of years, but the way FSU was running things was that they would send several players out to the mat room (or whatever that indoor practice room is called), basically whomever anyone wanted. This was after an open locker room incident involving Chris Rix, IIRC.

3. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

Rix -- one of the world's biggest assholes -- got into a near fistfight with an angry defensive lineman (the two were separated by teammates, who probably saved Rix's life). This all took place in front of a dozen or so awe-struck media members, following a vintage Rixian performance (two interceptions and a fumble) during a home loss to Notre Dame.

The closure of the locker room was announced the next day, as I recall.

FSU was very open in all other respects, at least when I was there.

As for UM, obviously it's Shannon's prerogative to close the locker room. But blaming female reporters for the move (and taking what seems to be a shot at them in the process) is retrograde and pathetic.

4. Mizzougrad96

I've covered a couple games at FSU over the years and their access was as good as I've seen. Granted, the last time I was there was Weinke's senior year, but access was unbelievable compared to most schools.

I've heard Georgia is great. I've heard Auburn is great.

5. Mediator

Mediator Member

I wouldn't be crushed if I never had to step into another locker room. Unfortunately, there is no substitute for the access you get there, being able to grab the second string CB you know well and who will give you a straight answer on background about what the QB said in the huddle before his team rallied -- or gave up a TD.

6. Mahoney

Mahoney Member

Randy Shannon just doesn't come across as a particularly bright guy. This explanation, when all he had to say was they decided to cut locker room access since most schools already have, reinforces that impression.

7. Am I the only one really offended by the line "what you call reporters." What exactly is he trying to insinuate?

And isn't Randy the one with about 10 kids by eight women? And he's going to call out female student reporters as being sex-crazed peakers?

Glass houses, Randy. Glass houses.

8. Mizzougrad96

If the NFL can be open, colleges can be open.

The difference is the NFL PR guys (usually) treat the players like adults. College PR guys treat them like they're 5.

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Damn shame, considering how much fun it was to be in an FSU or Miami locker room during the late 1980s and early 1990s. Never knew what quote you were going to get, but whatever it was, it would be great (example: Lamar Thomas, after FSU Wide Right II: "FSU is the best three-quarter football team in America.").

I've said this before, and I'll tell any coach or SID the same thing: The two best college football programs from 1980 to 2000 was Miami and FSU (seven national championships between them). They were also the two most open and accessible programs in the nation at the time. Therefore, the correlation between being restrictive in access of players to the media and winning does not exist.

10. Mizzougrad96

Meanwhile, in Gainesville, the access is considered to be among the worst in the nation, on the same level as Alabama, Michigan and Penn State.

11. But USC is the best.

Basically, it doesn't have any impact on a team's play, one way or the other.

So, ultimately, it's just a good barometer of how controlling a coach is.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Personally, I'd rather endure the smell and the dangling private parts to be able to talk to someone I wanted to talk to.

So you guys always get whoever you want brought out? Must be nice.

Draft saved Draft deleted