1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

United Way and You

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Write-brained, Apr 13, 2007.

?

What is your newspaper's relationship with United Way?

1. Mandatory donation

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Donation strongly suggested

21 vote(s)
    58.3%
  3. Give if you want

9 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. No relationship

6 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

My paper urges you to donate, has drawings and contests for those that do donate, but no penalty for those like me that choose not to donate.

2. Way off again, Mike. I have a problem with a newspaper being so cozy with another organization to the point it's practically forcing its reporters to make donations.

Next questions in our investigation, Mike: Do you actually READ the threads before you comment, and were you born a hermaphrodite?

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Well, hell. Who doesn't? :D

4. You don't even remember your first post in the thread accurately.

Go back and read it yourself.

5. Original post: "I personally don't have anything against United Way, or any other charitable organization, but I'm uncomfortable with my newspaper having such a tight relationship with an organization we might have to investigate."

Last post: I have a problem with a newspaper being so cozy with another organization to the point it's practically forcing its reporters to make donations.

And? Seems pretty much the same to me ... my point being the newspaper should have arms-length relationships, not lie in their bed ...

Next question, Mike: Does your fascination with Sportschick's avatar have anything to do with the fact that you, too, like to wear tights?

6. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

At the United Way where I worked, we told people that only about 13 percent of their donation went for administrative purposes (i.e., our payroll and related work expenses). So, in reality, consider that just 87 percent of your donation is going to agencies (if you pre-selected any).

What do you get for that 13 percent (it ranges from UW to UW, depending on staff size and initiatives)? Well, you get an organization that can bring people to the table from all parts of the community to help solve the important issues that need to be addressed. While that sounds nice and impressive, the reality is you get a lot of talk and not a lot of action.

That's not to say there aren't good things about United Ways. 2-1-1 is a valuable resource that can connect people to the health and human resources organizations they need in times of crisis. Success By 6 reaches out to kids -- who would likely otherwise be looked over -- and helps them get ready to succeed in school.

The bottom line is this -- if you feel comfortable giving to the United Way or any organization, then you should be encouraged to give. However, no one really is helped if people feel they gave begrudgingly because they give little and care less about their involvement and investment.

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

When I was in college I worked summers at Disneyland. During the big donation drive we would actually have to pick up our paychecks from the United Way people.

8. No shit ... :eek:

I guess once you get over the initial shock of that it would be fun to taunt them with your paycheck ...

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Forcing people to work extra hours off the clock is highly illegal, too. ;)

10. Taylee

Taylee Member

Current paper handles it the same way (do I know you?).
    At previous paper, the UW envelop had several options you could check ... none of which was "no donation." Publisher took a great amount of pride in going to the UW board meetings, of which he was part of, to tell of "100 percent VOLUNTARY contribution." Our reporter covering an event nearly shit when the publisher announced that. Each year, the "voluntary" contributions were increased according to the average raise.
    When promoted, the conversation ended with this.
    "As ASE, your pay will increase to .... and your United Way contribution will increase to ... "
    A guy at the paper "forgot" to turn his form in by the prescribed deadline, and it was filled out for him. Some people, of course not me, wrote down enough OT to cover their donation.
    Now, I donate to a few organizations, but No Way to the United Way.

11. Am I really going to have to go back and show you part of your original post?

12. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

One year after I didn't donate to our paper's United Way drive, a company-wide e-mail congratulated us for "100 percent participation." As I recalled the great lengths to which the editors went to make sure I signed the form and returned it on time, I wondered if "participation" simply meant I listened to the pitch and signed the form -- even without donating.

Draft saved Draft deleted