1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

United States or America?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Jan 11, 2021.

1. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

The US is the only country with the word America actually in it. I have never in my life heard or read a reference to someone from Uruguay as an American. South American? Yes. Same with Canada, always North American. I find the bending over backwardness of avoiding American kind of stupid.

Pilot and Driftwood like this.
  2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Told most people in England that I was from "The States." Just seemed easier. Most of them asked if I was from "The States" so I just rolled with it.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

That's the thing ... I'm American. I'm an American. But I'm from the United States. lol

HC likes this.
  4. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

It really pisses off Hawaiians if you say you're from The States. Uh, so are they.

5. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Don’t think I know any Canadian who refers to the US as “America.” Usually it’s “the US” or just “the States.”

6. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Would a citizen if any other country be even remotely likely, when in France, to answer the question “where are you from” with “America”?

I would assume not, but maybe I’m wrong.

Draft saved Draft deleted