1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

United States of Tara

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mizzougrad96, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Has anyone else seen the new Showtime series?

It stars Toni Collette as a suburban housewife with four personalities. It's written by the same woman who did the Juno script.

I just saw the first episode and it was pretty good stuff. Showtime has done pretty well lately with this, Californication and Weeds.

2. Jack_Kerouac

Jack_Kerouac Member

After we watched the premiere episode last week, my wife said, "This show is going to win every damn award possible!" And I tend to agree. I think it's very well done, though Diablo Cody's writing can get a bit too clever for its own good at times. Still, it's one of the best new shows I've watched in quite some time.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Meant to watch it. I guess I'll have to catch up.

4. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

I agree with that statement wholeheartedly.

I saw the season opener, but missed the second episode for some reason. Must be a conflict on my DVR.

5. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Wow, I'm surprised at people's reactions. I thought it was laughably bad (even if you give them a pass on the completely ridiculous misrepresentation of multiple personality disorder). I like everyone involved, so I was disappointed.

6. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

I'm gonna give it a shot at least. Californication is one of my favorite shows and the first two seasons of Weeds and Dexter were great.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I've seen one show. Thought it was outlandish, but kinda likable in how the family reacted to one another. The son is a hoot, too.

8. RossLT

RossLT Guest

You guys really liked Weeds? I saw one episode and thought it was horrible.

9. Jack_Kerouac

Jack_Kerouac Member

I agree. I think "Weeds" is terrible. "Tara" is much better than "Weeds" even if it is rather out there.

10. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I saw the season premier of Tara. Thought it was ok, will have to catch the second episode via On Demand to see if it gets better. For some reason that I can't put my finger on I didn't like it as much as I liked Dexter, Californication and Weeds from the outset.

11. RossLT

RossLT Guest

I have seen a few of the shows on Showtime and none of them can touch anything HBO did.

I'll take The Wire, The Sopranos, OZ and Entourage over anything Showtime has done.

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

If you would take Entourage over Dexter, then I cry for you. And I like Entourage.

Draft saved Draft deleted