1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

United States, Liberia and Myanmar

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by heyabbott, Sep 11, 2007.

1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Fuck metric. With a foot-long pole.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

We have a bit of a combination of the two.

My kids have no idea what a mile is.

The metric is now so ingrained that when HC & I drove to NYC we saw a sign that said, New York, 450, and thought hell, that's not very far. Except it was in miles and was about 750 kilometres.

If I said it's gonna be 90F my kids would have no clue.

But they refer to their height and weight in imperial--guess it's a sports thing.

I'm confused about 50F but I know that 20C is pretty much perfect weather.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

And speaking of Myanmar, here's some fast breaking news illustrating their booming economy.

http://www.myanmar.com/news/index.html

Parts for 50 cars imported for China for first time

Arr Man
    Yangon , 8 August

Spare parts for 50 cars to be assembled in the industrial zones in the country have been imported from China for the first time in early August. The purchase, ordered by a Mandalay-based car assembly firm, was made through the Muse Border Trade Point after applying for an authorized licence.

According to the Ministry of Commerce, fourteen types of spare parts, including windscreens, dashboards and steering wheels worth US Dollar 13 750, have been imported via Muse border points on 3 August.

Before 2006, car spare parts used to come into the country on a regular basis through Muse and other trade points to be retailed at Bayintnaung Car Parts Trading Center, the main market for car parts in Yangon, and other shops as well as for the local car assembly firms. However, the illegal trade in car parts at the border points was brought to a standstill after the customs authorities started taking stricter measures to curb unlawful trading activities in early 2006.

After the local car production businesses were hard hit by the lack of spare parts in 2006, Myanmar Industrial Development Committee has permitted the import essential parts and raw materials for the automobile assembly plants in the middle of that year. Since late 2006, local car firms have been buying parts from Japan and Malaysia with import licences through regular trade routes. However, assembly plants in Mandalay are the ones which started bringing in Chinese-made components through the border.

Myanmar Industrial Development Committee has given permission to the local car businesses to produce 10 000 cars in 2006-2007 financial year but the quota for 2007-2008 has been increased by 100 per cent to 20 000

Draft saved Draft deleted