1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

United States casualties in Afghanistan top 1,500

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CarltonBanks, May 30, 2011.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Re: United States casulties in Afghanistan top 1,500

Maybe the thing to do with this thread is

1. Thank 3 bags for his service.

2. Edit the thread title to include the correct spelling of "casualties."

3. STFU about politics and blame.

2. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

Re: United States casulties in Afghanistan top 1,500

1. Thanks 3 Bags
    2. Typos happen. I will fix.
    3. Where is the blame?

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Trouble in paradise, righties?

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Az your pithy BS has become a cliche.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

With me, I'm not all up in arms about the length of the war in Afghanistan, because I recall people in the Bush administration, when the war first began, cautioned people that the country was such a mess, that we might end up spending 25 years there. So my expectations weren't as high.

Iraq, on the other hand ...

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

They go hand in hand.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

No shit; an interesting internecine battle.

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Indeed; and they damn sure better. War IS politics. It's when we reverse the equation that we get into trouble.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The Republic party presidential candidate in 2008 said we'd probably still be in Iraq in 100 years and it would be "fine with him."

10. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

Yes, and he lost. The problem I have is that, despite all the talk about Bush having no "end game," which he didn't, we are still stuck in this perpetual situation in Afghanistan (and to a smaller extent, Iraq) where it sees like the only progress we are seeing is the progress of the body count upwards. Obama mentioned a draw down when he approved the additional troops to Afghanistan...is that still on the table. As much as putting a firm date on the withdrawl was a mistake, in my opinion, is this going to happen?

It does not matter who the president is...1,500+ dead American soldiers is quite a price to pay for, what, the miniscule progress we are seeing? Yet we are going to pour $40 billion more into the Middle East for "fledgling democracies" and fund a whole bunch more people who hate us and want us dead. Just seems like what started out as a just war (Afghanistan, at least) is turning into the same old mess. And Libyia as well.

Meanwhile, Egypt is a mess...they are firing on protesters in Syria and Yemen and we bicker about what we whould have done here or there. Just frustrated, I guess, and the 1,500 number affected me. Rant over.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Guess I'm just old-fashioned, but partisanship and bickering on Memorial Day seems disrespectful.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I have two cousins and one of my best friends from high school is over there right now. I have another close friend who was killed over there a couple years ago.

Just about my entire family is either in the military or has been in the military.

After Obama was elected, one of the few things I was happy about was that he was going to bring the soldiers home. He hasn't done that.

I know focus has shifted from one country to another, but we're not winning and we can't afford to be there, so I'm at the point now where I wish we would just bring everyone home.

Draft saved Draft deleted