1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

United States casualties in Afghanistan top 1,500

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CarltonBanks, May 30, 2011.

1. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/least-1492-us-soldiers-have-died-afghani

Memorial Day and the number of U.S. soldiers killed in Afghanistan surpasses 1,500. Sure, this is the "right war" and all, but what is the endgame? How much longer are we going to be reading about dead soldiers?

Four young men from my area were among the casulties this weekend. A guy I graduated with was killed in Afghanistan last year (class of 132 people, everyone knew everyone quite well). Are we getting anything done over there? We got Bin Laden, can everyone go home now?

2. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Re: United States casulties in Afghanistan top 1,500

Yes, we are keeping the Taliban out of power.

My understanding is the reason we can't all just go home now is, if we do, the Taliban retakes Afghanistan, Al Qaeda regains its sanctuary country to rebuild its networks with impunity, and we're right back where we started with nothing to show for a decade of fighting beyond finally getting Bin Laden. And, of course, us pulling out and the Taliban quicky re-taking Afgh would no doubt be percieved by the world as victory over the U.S. (although I'm not sure I give a shit about such perceptions anymore). I'd like to think those 1500 died for something that will be more lasting and substantial than the death of one old man.

Driving the Taliban out was the easy part of the job, the hard part is keeping em out. The current Afghanistan government/army is not capable of that on their own yet. And who knows if they ever will. This was an easy no-choice war to get into, but's a holy bitch figuring out how to leave.

3. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

So, basically, we are going to spin our wheels until Karzai decides they have a handle on things? That should happen in about, well, never.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

1000 0f those 1500 deaths came in 2009, 2010 ( 499) and 2011.

President Obama honoring the war dead today by playing his 70th round of golf since 2009.

5. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Or we just say screw it, it's been long enough, let's come home regardless. Killing Bin Laden, fucking up Al Qaeda and keeping the Taliban out of power for a decade is far better than nothing.

But that certainly won't be how the rest of the world spins it if this ends with the Taliban regaining the Afghan Government (along with the expanded territory they now control in Pakistan) and Al Qaeda again being allowed to freely rebuild within the Afghan borders.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Viet Nam was prolonged on the false idea that we needed to stop the spread of communism.

7. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Active Member

Because of course, when he was elected you were demanding he either pull out of Afghanistan, or stick to the Bush strategy of doing just enough not to win, but not take heavy casualties, either.

8. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

After, of course, honoring the troops by visiting Arlington.

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Some of you really enjoy pointing out milestones of dead servicemen and women, don't you?

10. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

The guy in the photo's name is Jaime Adame. He is working in northern Helmand Province, near Sangin, one of the roughest places around. I watched him become a U.S. citizen while in Afghanistan. It was a moving ceremony, and I'd like to think about the good things, today.

I'll worry about this tomorrow.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Vietnam was also a small blip in the world that turned into a huge blob because you had one group screaming that the other was "soft on Communism" and that we were in danger of becoming Commies ourselves if we looked the least bit weak in allowing one inch of soil to become Communist, even if the other side was corrupt as hell.

12. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

Give me a break. We had the number of soldiers killed in Iraq and Afghanistan shoved down our throats every day on the network news for eight years. I don't remember you bitching about it then.

Draft saved Draft deleted