1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

United, Newspapers May Stand -- NY Times Article

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by YankeeFan, Mar 9, 2009.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Interesting article.

More: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/09/business/media/09carr.html?8dpc=&pagewanted=all

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

It sounds like an interesting article, but I didn't want to have to register to read it.

3. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Imagine how you'll feel in a couple of weeks when you'll have to pay for it.

4. YankeeFan

You're not registered on nytimes.com? Really? And you're in the newspaper business?

Take two minutes. There's lots worth reading everyday.

-- Or maybe you're being sarcastic/ironic. I hope so. --

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

You don't have an account with NYTimes.com? What about using bugmenot.com to access the page?

6. RickStain

I was making a point. I'm more interested than the average reader in the subject and it's already too much hassle.

Throw in subscription fees or micropayments, and you have an even bigger hassle.

7. YankeeFan

Isn't the problem that it's too easy to get the information for free, not too hard?

8. RickStain

Sort of. The problem is that there's no good way to get people to pay for information individually. The only model that ever really worked on a large scale was convincing advertisers to pay for it.

9. VJ

VJ Member

Have you considered that maybe you're just really f------ lazy?

10. RickStain

Considered and accepted.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

NYT has become pretty aggressive about figuring out which IDs are linked to BugMeNot and deleting those IDs.

12. I didn't have to register at all, and I know I'm not registered. It is too easy to get news for free.

Draft saved Draft deleted