1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"United Nations huddle" edited out of Le Batard column on the Web

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ondeadline, Jan 7, 2008.

1. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Romenesko has an item on this.
    <a href="http://209.85.173.104/search?q=cache:rjLpnNahulIJ:www.miamiherald.com/873/story/12040.html+%22dan+le+batard%22+mormon+mexican+%22united+nations%22&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=2&gl=us">
    Here is the original column</a> and here is the <a href="http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/columnists/dan_le_batard//story/365577.html">edited version.</a>

Here is the paragraph in question:
    It was changed to this:

2. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Active Member

Le Betard also made that comment on PTI Thursday, then on Friday, apologized to the Dolphins for something he said...while never mentioning what the phrase was. I dunno, it seems kind of ticky-tack. It wasn't the best thing in the world to say, but it ain't that offensive...

3. I thought it was just used as a humorous metaphor meaning the Dolphins were patching together an offense with all kinds of disparate parts. I don't think it really worked terrifically, but I certainly wasn't anywhere near offended by it. As soon as I heard him say it on PTI, though, I knew that others would be.

4. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Perhaps instead of calling it a United Nations huddle, how about a melting pot huddle, or a huddle by committee?

5. Stone Cane

Stone Cane Member

fucking christ, if we're at the point where calling a bunch of football players from different countries a "United Nations huddle" is considered offensive or inappropriate, then this political correctness bullshit is definitely through the looking glass

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Maybe it was just cut for space for the print edition and that's what went up.

7. Absolutely embarrassing. He misspelled Samoan.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think it was a good edit.

Beyond everything else, why is being Mormon or Samoan or Mexican or having a funny last name any kind of hindrance to football ability?

Of course, I simply hate the "it was just a joke" rationale.

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

It's only a joke if it's funny and LeBastard is not funny. He ranges from sad to bad to pathetic to jock sniffer, but never funny.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Doesn't have to be funny to be a joke. Most of mine aren't.

11. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Precisely. It wasn't an offensive thought, it was a stupid one. I have no problem with editing out stupidity.

12. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

It was a good edit.
    The reference doesn't hold literal or figurative value.

Draft saved Draft deleted