1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

United "loses" 10-year-old girl on flight

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Sweet Jesus. When I read the headline and the start to the story, it just seemed like something that could happen.

But then I read the parents' letter, and I will not fly United ever again if I have a single say in it.

3. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

While there's no excuse for United screwing up so badly, why in God's name would someone let their 10-year-old fly across the country ALONE??? There's no way in hell I would have allowed my children to do that. None.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I remember thinking that the first time I heard about it. But that was like 10 years ago. It no longer shocks me. If the kid's old enough, I have no real beef with it IF IT WORKS THE WAY IT'S SUPPOSED TO WORK.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Exactly. It happens a lot.

6. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

C'mon, people, this is the airlines we're talking about. Why is anyone surprised by what happens in an industry with no desire to provide even the basics of customer service? Expect the worst; anything above that is a bonus.

7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I have had friends do that with their children, and while I'd never do it unless absolutely forced to, it's worked out fine. I'd only do it for a direct flight, because the probability of a glitch grows substantially when you get into the whole "making a connection" realm.

8. dmc

dmc Guest

I did it with a 5 year old a few times about 25 years ago. Things were a bit simpler back then.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

United is the worst of the major airlines by a thousand miles.

10. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

My parents had me fly alone every summer for five years. I guess between the ages of five and ten. They flew me from Denver to Tampa to visit my grandparents. Never had a problem. I remember being treated like absolute royalty. Fuck United.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

After my parents split when I was 8 and my sister was 6, we would fly across the country all the time without an adult. We were treated like royalty as well. They would bump up us to first class if there was space. Most of the time we were flying direct from San Francisco to New York, but we also did SF to Savannah, which always had at least one stop. It was never an issue.

United sucks ass.

12. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

My wife and I sent both of our sons on flights without us when they were 10 years old or a bit older. Of course, there were adults there to meet them at the other end of the journey and in those days the adults could get right to the gate to meet our kids as they got off the plane. That does not happen today because TSA will require a boarding pass to let you thru security.

Regarding United Airlines, my wife has flown just under 1,000,000 miles on United Airlines over the past 35 years. My total mileage is a bit less; I have flown just over 400,000 miles on United Airlines. Obviously, neither of us would have racked up that quantity of miles if United's service was routinely as shoddy as described here.

Draft saved Draft deleted