1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

United and US Airways Said to Be in Merger Talks

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Apr 7, 2010.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

More airline news.

No need to go to Flyertalk.com

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Now that would be one craptastic airline.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

If you take two shitty airlines and turn them into one shitty airline does it really fix anything?

4. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

I've got to say, I don't see this happening. 1. The unions. 2. Anti-trust with east coast routes...

I would love it, though, personally. More international options for me to fly!

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Agreed on the unions.

And it would mean I only have one airline I refuse to fly instead of two.

6. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

These two airlines have been in merger talks at least once before - - and maybe twice.

Worry about this further down the road. Actually, there isn't much to worry about. If they marge and it gets DoJ approval, they will become one very large and less than very efficient airline. If they do not merge, they will remain two large and inefficient airlines.

Hi Ho! [/Kurt Vonnegut]

7. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

No shit. I would consider United if there were nine pistols, eight daggers, two cannons and one acid-tipped harpoon pointed at my head. But not US Air. No way.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Ask Northwest flyers how much they enjoy Delta.

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

My last flight on US Airways was a direct flight -- I checked in my bag more than an hour before the flight and they still managed to lose it for two days. The woman handling the lost luggage reports took close to a half-hour to help me because "You're a US Airways passenger and I'm an America West employee," and she couldn't figure out the paperwork. This was six months after US Airways and America West merged.

My last flight with United involved my lunging over the desk area at the gate, attempting to throttle the snot-nosed, mouthy little fucker who had been working there. The service actually improved considerably after that.

10. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

F Delta.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Just end the charade and put all the legacy carriers together, call it ACME Airlines, charge for everything from baggage to drinks to seat cushions and cold air, and fly fly away.

And I'll keep taking Southwest and AirTran.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Until you need to leave the country.

Draft saved Draft deleted