1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

United Airlines to drop Cleveland as a hub in cost-cutting

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Feb 2, 2014.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

This was all but inevitable once the Continental & United merger went through.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

United is taking its talents to South Beach?

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I blame LeBron James and Bernie Kosar. Cleveland gets shafted over everything. The NHL even went to Columbus instead.

4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

United is probably moving all its Cleveland talent to Baltimore.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

But the Cleveland airport will keep its name.

6. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Won't miss it.

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

Don't forget the NHL went to Cleveland first. And flopped.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

As I recall when I lived in Cleveland, it was a very minor Continental hub to begin with.

9. YankeeFan

The only flight to Europe was a seasonal flight to London. And, as time went on, it got a lot more regional jets.

CO even sent a lot of its trancon connections through Houston.

It was never a big enough O&D market to justify a hub. CO took it over after UA originally abandoned it. It was never profitable, and once Southwest ramped up there (and AirTran started running flights out of Canton/Akron) it only got worse.

Chicago has the O&D traffic and the geography to warrant a hub, and they don't need it and Cleveland.

10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Played golf the other day with an American Airlines scheduler. Per him, there are about 50 AA schedulers and about 50 US Airways schedulers, and the new combined airline will need only about 85. He finds out this week whether or not he keeps his job.

11. YankeeFan

Are they all going to work out of Dallas?

If yes, you've got to figure that even some of the US Airways folks who are offered a job won't want to/be able to make the move.

A number of people I know from Continental moved up here when they merged with United, but a lot more couldn't for family reasons.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That's a pretty good severance package for the ones who aren't selected or can't make the move, right?

Draft saved Draft deleted