1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Unique Visitors

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pete Incaviglia, Nov 20, 2008.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

So, last week's online stats were sent around our newsroom.

We had five thousands LESS "unique visitors" than we have subscribers who get the paper EVERY DAY!

How's that internet working out?

2. McNuggetsMan

McNuggetsMan Active Member

What efforts are your paper taking to increase "unique visitors?" You have an entire circulation department dedicated to getting the paper into the hands of subscribers. How many people do you have dedicated to internet marketing? Do you have daily emails? Do you have text messages to alert potential readers to breaking news? Do you have an RSS feed?

What do you think would happen if you left all your papers in the warehouse and just waited for subscribers to pick up the papers? That's how many newspapers are treating their online content. "Well we put it on the web, what more do you expect?"

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Thank you.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

It's about marketing and content. How often is the Web site updated? Any original Web content? What type of stories are on the front page of the Web site?

There are several newspaper in my chain that have a lot more uniques than subscribers. The one's that don't, I can tell why just looking by looking at the main page. Old stories. Stories about some boring Cookie Club meeting. Gamers that are two days old. Web surfers want new content.

5. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Our paper offers RSS feeds, updates breaking news as it happens, has blogs for seemingly everything (some I find of quality), a new video five times a week, at least one slide show per day, uses facebook, uses twitter.

Need I say more?

6. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Yes, tell me why they called it 5,000 less unique visitors instead of 5,000 fewer visitors.

:p

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Ouch! It's gotta be the grammar!

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I still don't think newspapers understand that perusing a Web site for news is different than reading a newspaper. People want to get in and get out.
    I really like the way Newser.com aggregates their stuff - sure I'd prefer it if they slotted the news, business, sports and entertainment stuff in their own categories, but I enjoy the feature that provides the first graf of the story without having to click.

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Design?

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Tell that to the Richmond Times-Dispatch. [/crossthreading]

11. Reacher

Reacher Member

There's a lot more competition on the Web. You can't just put crap content up under the paper's name and expect people to flock to it.

You have to market it and it has to actually be interesting. Two things many newspapers don't do as well as they should.

12. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

All the internet did for newspapers was hurry the extinction of newspapers. By thinking it was the way to go and would be ultimately profitable, the internet hurried the slashings of newspaper staffs and crucified the newsprint product. Bye bye newspaper business thanks to said internet.

Draft saved Draft deleted