1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Unique field markings

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Batman, Oct 28, 2007.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

This probably should've gone in the college football thread, but they're in the middle of a raging debate of "SEC vs. The World" over there and I didn't want it to get lost.
    I was watching the Cal-Arizona State game last night and noticed that ASU has little pitchforks, instead of the usual arrows, after the yard markers on its field. Are there any other schools that do things like this with their field markings? I know Georgia has the big "G" logo at the goal line, and LSU has every 5-yard line marked. Any others?

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

The pitchforks are the Sun Devils' Trident. I think Grambling may do the same thing as Georgia with its goallines.

3. KP

KP Active Member

Fresno St. had every 5 marked off.

4. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

Why does LSU and now Fresno State mark every five yards? I've never been a big fan of that.

5. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Doesn't Florida State have a spear for the arrows on the numbers.

6. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Don't forget the most popular field markings in college football, though it's in the endzone...

[​IMG]

Rocky Top's Purina checkerboard.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. Hustle

Hustle Guest

Penn State uses yellow paint for its goallines.

8. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Only unique because nobody does it anymore, but I believe Notre Dame has the old-school circle at the 50-yard line.

9. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Copied by a zillion high school programs, unfortunately, because with the lousy lighting at prep stadiums, it makes it almost impossible to see the goal line from some press boxes (and I'm a radio guy, so I don't exactly have the option of walking the sidelines).

10. Hustle

Hustle Guest

You could be a sideline reporter, right? ;)

11. markvid

markvid Guest

Will they sue for copyright infringement?

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

LSU also has H-shaped, as opposed to Y-shaped, goal posts.

Draft saved Draft deleted