1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Union-Tribune joins 21st Century

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Stitch, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Last major daily to paste-up pages moves to computerized pagination in November.

http://www.newsandtech.com/issues/2009/Sept/09-09_uniontribune-pagination.htm

2. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

This will, of course, probably mean the loss of more production people's jobs...

It's the human price of technology/advancement.

3. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Wow, it's been 14 years since I last worked there, and I assumed they had already done away with the paste-up. Even my current 20,000 circulation shop hasn't had paste-up for years.

I feel bad for any production people that lose their jobs over this, but they had to know this was coming sooner or later.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Wow... I had no idea. Most of the papers made this switch at least a decade ago.

5. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

This actually saddens me, to be honest. I spent a lot of great, and stressful, times in composing rooms.

6. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

SFE:

Me, too. Armed with a trusty pica pole and the light blue felt pen whose ink wouldn't show up in the photographic process. Ah, yes. Those were the days, my friend, we thought they'd never end.

7. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

It truly is the end of an era.

Do recent grads even know what a pica pole is? Have they ever used one?

8. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Those light blue pens were like gold. You had to hold on to them at our place, because someone would steal them.

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Loved the blue pens. And if we're going way back with exacto knives and pica poles, don't forget photo wheels. Yes, them were the days.

10. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

11. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

I still have the first pica pole I ever used sitting in my desk drawer. I pull it out at least once a night to use it - as a back scratcher.

12. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Pica pole use at my place is solely for cutting cake.

Draft saved Draft deleted