1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Unintentional comedy, Part XXI

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Killick, Sep 29, 2009.

1. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

A little backstory: I subscribe to free podcasts of old radio shows, like to fall asleep to them. I find them relaxing, interesting and they're usually a nice way to wind down and drop off.

Not tonight.

Now, I'm sick and have been mainlining nyQuil today, but the latest download has had me laughing for the last hour. I didn't look at it when iTunes automatically downloaded it to my iPhone, didn't look at the title when I started playing it. But there it was, as I was falling asleep, a great piece of unintended comedy.

The show was something called "Gangbusters," which I hadn't sampled before. And I had to look it up online after listening for a while.

http://www.mevio.com/episode/142664/Gangbusters+The+Case+Of+Harry+Red+Bever+09-15-45

Yep, "The Case of Harry Red Bever." And the show is filled with all sorts of Beavis and Butthead gems like "That's Bever's a killer!", "Bever's armed and dangerous!" and — I swear — "... she was kind of sweet on Bever."

God help me and my sophomoric sensibilities.

2. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Dangerous beavers aside, that's a great idea to listen to old radio shows on podcasts. In my first newspaper gig, I was in a rural area and drove hours most nights to get to and from prep games. An AM station within range played "When Radio Was," a syndicated show with old radio serials. Made a lot of long drives more tolerable.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

The only thing I really liked about XM when I had it was the old time radio show station. It was GREAT.

4. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Yeah, I love "Suspense" and — though I feel like an old geek saying it — "Fibber McGee and Molly" and "The Great Gildersleeve." Just old, wholesome comedy. Some very funny old stuff there.

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

NPR sometimes plays them very late at night, so if I'm coming home from a late sporting event, I get to listen to them. They are a lot of fun.

6. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

That show's still around ... love listening to it. When I worked in Chicago I'd listen to it on WBBM on the way home. Great old shows... love the mysteries...

Draft saved Draft deleted