1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Uni Watch ranks all pro jerseys

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Beef03, Aug 20, 2012.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Funny about the Cowboys, definitely the franchise that was built for TV. Those pants they wear with their white jerseys are really a greenish shade. The pants they were with their "road" blue jerseys are a true silver. The color scheme was optimized for color television -- to make whatever's blue appear even bluer -- back in the day.

2. dieditor

dieditor Member

Not a Blackhawks fan by any stretch but bullshit is right. The Hawks -- like most of the Original 6 -- have some of the best hockey unis around.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Actually, I believe that at least PART of the justification used by the NFL in about 1982 when they mandated no more colored numbers-with-white borders was (believe it or not) that the numbers were hard to see on black-and-white TVs -- and even more fantastic, B/W printed pages.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

4. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

I'm kinda surprised to see the Cowboys that low. I've never really liked the team but I always felt the uniforms were classy. I think some of the issues Lukas brings up about the blues not matching just come down to nitpicking.

We seem to have mostly NFL and MLB out-guard teams left. I think it comes down to Bears and Packers in football and Tigers and Yankees (the only two teams with no alternate) in baseball. Give the edge to the Pack in football on the basis of green and gold being a good color scheme and Detroit in baseball on the basis of the stronger road uni.

5. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

He has the Blackhawks lower than the motherfucking Blue Jackets.

He has them lower than the fucking Chiefs, when they have the same fucking shade of red, practically.

Idiot.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The Chiefs are also the only team in professional sports who don't have a throwback uniform. They've been wearing the same fucking thing since they moved to KC.

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Paul Lukas likes what he likes. Very little about this list surprises me, considering its source. I expect the Dodgers, Bruins and Maple Leafs to be in the top 10, possibly the top five.

I think he'll dock the Yankees for shitty road jerseys.

8. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I see your point, but the Chiefs technically do have a throwback:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. KYSportsWriter

Some interesting tidbits from today's list:

-- The Red Sox at No. 42. Take away the two alternates, and they're easily in the top 10. But Lukas has always hated Boston's alternate unis.

-- He docks the Orioles and Braves for having two solid-color alternates. At least those are in the team's colors. He also loathes the Pirates' black alternate, never mind the fact that black is one of the Pirates' main colors.

-- The fucking Blackhawks, one of the Original 6, are way too low. I mean, he has them lower than Columbus, for Chrissakes. Same thing with the Devils, who he's always praising for doing the shoulder yokes the right way.

-- The Cowboys' mis-match blues are very annoying, but those uniforms are still classic.

10. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Portland would be wise to go back to the original font.
    [​IMG]

11. KYSportsWriter

They sort of do in their "Rip City" alternate:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

When you look at NHL Jersey's, the Blue Jackets have as solid set of uniforms in the league as anyone. I quite like them. Should they be higher than the Blackhawks? no fucking way. I'm more pissed that the Christmas tree wearing Wild are about 20 spots higher than Chicago. Complete joke. No way the Blackhawks should be out of the top 10. My favourite of all NHL jerseys.

And here's the link for those looking for it.

http://espn.go.com/espn/playbook/story/_/id/8275736/uni-watch-power-rankings-rates-nfl-mlb-nba-nhl-uniforms-1-122

Also surprised the White Sox went off the board before the Cubs, and this coming from a Cubs fan. The White Sox have had a sharper look since Frank Thomas came to town.

Draft saved Draft deleted