1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Uni Watch ranks all pro jerseys

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Beef03, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Cool picture. That was when the Lions really had silver numbers after they started playing the Silverdome.

Sometime in the mid 80s, they changed the silver numbers to gray. Subtle change, but a noticeable one if you watched a lot of NFC Central football back then.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I fucking hate the Red Wings logo. And I have no particular feelings toward the team. Hell, I liked most of their players from the 1990s and early 2000s, when I was following hockey more closely. The logo just looks fucking stupid.

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Steelers, Pirates and Penguins have yet to appear, so Pittsburgh's three teams are in all in the top 50. Obviously, I'm biased, but I think all three have nice classic looks that deserve high rankings (throwing out Steelers' hideous jailed bumblebee throwbacks they're going to wear twice this season).

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Actually in 1982 or 83, they were ordered by the NFL to change the numbers from silver with white trim to white with silver trim, on the supposed basis of better visibility on TV.

Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

I believe the Chargers were ordered to change their yellow numbers/white trim combo at the same time.

Before:
    [​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

5. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

http://espn.go.com/espn/playbook/story/_/id/8275319/uni-watch-power-rankings-rates-nfl-mlb-nba-nhl-uniforms-1-122

Today's list.

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Interesting observation about the New Orleans Hornets: the owner wants to change the team name, and none of the four uniforms has the name "Hornets" or the logo on it. Didn't realize that.

7. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree more with the Rays assessment. Loved the old green/white uniforms. The current ones are classy, but the older ones were better.

Tampa Bay Rays
    MLB
    When the history of uni-verse is written, the Rays' 2005-07 set will go down as one of the great underrated designs (especially if I'm the one writing the history). Their current set is a snoozer by comparison, but it's straightforwardly free of gimmicks, and they get bonus points for occasionally breaking out the striped socks.

http://farm9.static.flickr.com/8439/7752979866_a908dfcdf0_o.png

8. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

That's because it's not entirely true. The Hornets have the "Fleur de Bee" logo on both sides of their shorts, and just below the back collar on the jerseys. But the use of the city name, and never the nickname, across the chest dates back to the franchise's inception when it used "Charlotte" on both home and road jerseys.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Iiiiiii ... did not know that.

In both cases, the NFL-mandated uniform is worse. I liked the Lions' silver numbers and the Chargers' yellow ones.

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Among the notables from Nos. 26-50 ...

--Pittsburgh finally appears with the Penguins (26) and Pirates (29). Steelers in top 25.
    --Cowboys rank 30th, due to the blue jerseys and inconsistent shades of blue.
    --Blackhawks rank 49th, due to the red jersey not having the same "pop" as the white.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Bullshit.

Chicago Blackhawks
    NHL

There are more colors in Chief Blackhawk's headdress than most teams have in their entire uniform program (all rendered in beautiful jewel-toned chain-stitching, to boot). Against the white background of the road uniform, those colors pop. But the red home uni is so loud that the chest design can't compete with it, like a pop tune that gets drowned out by a heavy metal anthem. Yet another argument for the NHL going back to wearing white at home.

12. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

It seems like every other comment on this list has the word "solid," including my Angels (Just one spot ahead of the Thunder, though? Really?).

Also, though I haven't read the comments, I'm sure the Red Sox ranking at 42 will get some. And, I haven't realized the Bucs' current uniform style has been around for 15 years until this list brought that up.

Draft saved Draft deleted