1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Uni Watch ranks all pro jerseys

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Beef03, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Uni watch has decided to rank all pro jerseys (MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL) from 1-122. I have to admit, I eat this stuff up. I'm a bit of a nerd that way. Here is this first set, starting from the bottom and working their way up. I think they contradict themselves a bit, bouncing back and fourth between ripping some teams for not changing from their garish ways while in the next breath saying other teams should embrace their garish history. Really, I'm just disappointed to see the Oilers down so low, call me a homer, but what evs.

Thoughts?

http://espn.go.com/espn/playbook/story/_/id/8274852/uni-watch-power-rankings-rates-nfl-mlb-nba-nhl-uniforms-1-122

2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Yankees
    Dallas Cowboys
    Los Angeles Dodgers

1, 2, 3.

Book it.

3. Johnny Chase

Johnny Chase Member

The Edmonton Oilers have one of the best uniforms in all of sports. They had them way too low.

4. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I thought they'd be middle of the pack somewhere. I also like the over complicated Capitals jersey. In the top 5 should be the Habs and the Blackhawks.

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I would be pretty surprised. Paul Lukas isn't that conservative in judging jerseys. He likes new things, provided they're clean and interesting.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The Sacramento Kings, last in all of pro sports?

Please.

The Seahawks are the Usain Bolt of horrible jerseys.

7. turski7

turski7 Member

BoSox
    Celtics
    Lakers

4, 5, 6?

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I was shocked at the treatment the Oilers got, Beef. I would have thought the uni police would have gone after the tweaks the organization made in recent years. I thought going back to roots (not Roots) would be get more thumbs-up.

Forget 'em. While they get it right more often than not, they're human, too.

Little surprised the Carolina Panthers were this low on the list. The electric blue jersey is completely goofy - I don't refer to it as the Smurf Jersey by accident - but it's only an alternate look, anyway. Unlike the Jacksonville Jaguars, which began at the same time as the Panthers, they haven't overhauled the uniform (though the logo got a tweak). The only serious potential look at anything I would explore is possibly black helmets, which IMO would work nicely with the logo. At least the silver with the funky "stripes" wouldn't look so out of place ...

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The uni-watch logo looks like the Portland Timbers logo.

Don't get the hate for the Vikings or Kings - but they did say they hate purple.

To me a great uniform has to have a few things - simplicity, uniqueness of design and cohesion. It should also have one thing - no more, no less - that draws the eye.

Too many teams have too many geegaws on their unis and it results in a mess.

10. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Don't worry, not too wrapped in them being so low on the list, just kind of struck me as strange considering some of the other disasters in the NHL.

Surprised also the Seahawks weren't lower. Their dark unis make my eyes bleed. I at least can look at the Bengals without getting a headache.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Red Sox will be No. 3

12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I can see the argument that the Oilers logo is dated, but I wouldn't put them so close to the bottom -- and certainly not below the Anaheim (formerly Mighty) Ducks.

If the Blackhawks aren't number one, they should be damn close.

Draft saved Draft deleted