1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Uni watch: It's Code Red for the Pirates

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by linotype, Jan 27, 2007.

1. Chef

Chef Active Member

What in the hell is it with all these vests?

Coincidence that all these teams who are changing their uniforms, putting fancy-dancy colors on them.......is it coincidence that they all suck balls?

Yankees, BoSox, Braves, Dodgers, Cubs, White Sox........nary a uni change, and if it is, it is very, very subtle and minor.

2. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

On a related note, the Reds dropped the vest this year ..

[​IMG]

3. Bears00

Bears00 Member

Throw the Tigers in with the home unis that never change. Little change in the road unis.

4. boots

boots New Member

The red in the Pirates' uniform is from the bandana that the pirate wears. I like em. It beats that all-yellow uni they wore in the we are family days.

5. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Dangerously close to those Indians blod clots.

6. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Oh. My. God. What asshat thought up those ugly things?

And yes, go back to the 1979 couture. I'll bring the Sister Sledge record for posterity.

If Nutting brings in cheerleaders, I will officially relinquish my allegiance to the Pirates.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Not really. But that's because they won in the yellow. They can change to pink and fusia if they like as long as they actually win some games.

Of course, somebody nailed it. They suck, so they have to pull amateurish crap like this to sell merchandise.

To take the example from the same city, the Steelers have made one minor tweak to their uniforms in my lifetime. They changed the font of the numbers a few years back. I'm not even sure why the did that.

8. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

From the people who have already paid them money they didn't deserve for the now-obsolete merchandise.

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

The Nets, Kings and others in the NBA started this trend when they sucked in the late '80s and early '90s and needed some way to unload Benoit Benjamin and Kenny Anderson jerseys.

When the Red Sox changed their road uniforms in 1990, also adding last names to the back, there was a minor revolt in Boston.

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

On a related note, the Washington Wizards' Antonio Daniels begs an official to rip this hideous jersey off his body.

[​IMG]

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

For those vest-knockers, I must say that I like the vests -- they bring an old-time look with them. Problem is, so many teams wear vests now that it's lost that retro feel.

12. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

And the Steelers had already been using that numbers font for years, on their helmets.

Draft saved Draft deleted