1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Uni watch: It's Code Red for the Pirates

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by linotype, Jan 27, 2007.

1. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

New unis so hideous, they deserve their own thread. The Pittsburgh Pirates unveiled their third jerseys today, and they're so bad that I can't even come up with a smart-ass comment to do them justice.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

None of this would happen with a Nutting in charge....

wait... oh.

3. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

That is el terrible. Can some Pittsburgher explain to me how the hell red even got into the color scheme anyway?

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

it's on the hot stove thread... about 7 hours ago

5. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Bwhahahahahaha

6. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

I know it was there during the Pie Traynor days, when their colors wore red and blue. And they reintroduced it in '97 and it looked pretty good -- it was used subtly, on the bill of the cap and on the trim on the jerseys. They scrapped the red in '01 when they went to PNC Park.

Now, those third jerseys look like used maxipads.

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Apparently, red was in the color scheme way, way, way back in the day. So it's always been there, just not used prominently, like it is here. At least that's the explanation I remember when they introduced the red-billed hats in the '90s.

8. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

The sleeveless look makes them even more hideous, if that's possible.

9. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

oh good heavens.

10. Blasphemy.

I'd prefer they bring back the old Willie Stargell/Bill Madlock unis ... afros and facial hair encouarged ...

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Examples of Pirates in red:

[​IMG]
    1909 world charmions

[​IMG]
    1925 NL charmions

[​IMG]
    1938 almost-NL charmions (lost pennant to Cubs on Hartnett's "Homer in the Gloamin' ")

[​IMG]
    1941 not-even-close to charmions

[​IMG]
    1948 -- first year of black/gold

[​IMG]
    Just for the hell of it -- 1979 :D

12. Here's my hastily put-together list of the best of the worst uniforms of all time, er, last 30 or so years. I'm sure I'm forgetting some, especially in the American League.

5. Padres, circa early 80s: So bad that I have suppressed any memory of them.
    4. Astros - Who can forget the rainbow-like horizontal stripes that poor, poor Nolan Ryan had to wear.
    3. Phillies blue away uniforms (honorable mention to the Cardinals blue away uniforms): What a fashion faux-pas but I still get tingles when I see Carlton, Rose and Schmidt, among others, wearing these on the Classic.
    2. Gotta love those Pirates unis. They were intimidating. Baseball's equivalent of the Raiders.
    1. Cleveland Indians. Two words: Chief Wahoo.

Draft saved Draft deleted