1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Unheralded Springsteen Songs Worth A Second Listen

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boom_70, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Stand On It
    Open All Night
    Paradise By The 'C'
    I'm Goin' Down
    Held Up Without A Gun
    From Small Things (Big Things One Day Come)
    Give The Girl A Kiss
    The Big Payback
    TV Movie
    Two Hearts
    Where The Bands Are
    Be True
    Thundercrack
    Johnny 99 (particularly the unreal full-band version from Hyde Park a couple of years back)

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Lost In Flood is on my list. Fantastic song.
    Greetings From Asbury Park is still my favorite album

3. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

Held Up Without a Gun
    The Big Payback

Oh, hell yeah. Great calls, Huggy.

I'll add "From Small Things (Big Things One Day Come)"

And, probably because of the live performances, both "Prove It All Night" and "Ramrod."

Hell, one more: "Adam Raised a Cain" (I know, everybody knows it. Pretty much all of "Darkness" for me is gold standard.)

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I don't know if they're unheralded, but "Growin' Up" and "It's Hard to be a Saint in the City" from "Asbury Park" fill that bill for me.

5. Does Blood Brothers qualify?
    I know its on Greatest Hits compilation, but don't think many know it

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Blood Brothers is a solid song. But how that makes a "Greatest Hits' album and Rosalita doesn't is unfathomable.

7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

The Blood Brothers as performed at the end of the 2000 and 2004 tours does qualify.

8. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Time to throw out my Springsteen geekdom knowledge here <g>

The version of Drive All Night that Shockey posted the video for was from the Hollywood, Fla. stop on the Devils & Dust tour. That was an amazing tour, especially the final two shows in Trenton in which he brought out the unreleased Hammond demo song - "Song for Orphans" which definitely is an unheralded song and one definitely worth checking out.

There are two officially released studio versions of "Blood Brothers" - the slow one on Greatest Hits and a rock version that came on an EP that was included with the "Blood Brothers" VHS which showed the band recording the bonus tracks for the Greatest Hits album. The rock version is definitely unheralded and worth a listen if you can track it down. The live versions that closed the tours in 2000 and 2003 were stunning with the extra verse.

Held Up Without a Gun and The Big Payback are great calls. Prior to their inclusion on Essential they were only available as B-sides (studio version of Held Up was the B-side for the Hungry Heart single and Big Payback was the B-side to the 45 of Open All Night that was released in Spain (which I grabbed a copy of because of The Big Payback).

9. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

Love your Springsteen geekiness!

10. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

There was a really good "Cold Case" episode that featured all music from Bruce Springsteen and I didn't recognize many of the songs but they were all very good.

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I had the "Hungry Heart" single so I knew "Held Up Without A Gun" but I had never been able to get my hands on "The Big Payback" until it came out on the Essential set. I had scoured used record stores here in Toronto looking for it, considered sending away for some promo thing from Europe through Goldmine and then eventually gave up the quest.

12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Anyone listening tonite? It is freaking strong.

Draft saved Draft deleted