1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Unheralded Springsteen Songs Worth A Second Listen

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boom_70, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

When new Springsteen albums come out I tend to revisit his older albums to compare. I always seem to find songs that I somehow missed when they first came out.

For example

"What Love Can Do" off Working on A Dream.

2. lono

lono Active Member

"Tougher Than The Rest" off of "Tunnel Of Love."

3. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

Boom, I love "Kingdom of Days" off WOAD. I think it's the perfect first-dance song for a wedding. Right now I'm loving the "American Land" on Wrecking Ball.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

"Pilgrim in the Temple of Love."

:eek: :eek: :eek:

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Along with the entire Seeger Sessions recordings, "Kitty's Back," "Mansion on the Hill" and "Where the Bands Are."

6. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

NYC Serenade, Price You Pay, Walk Like a Man, My Beautiful Reward, With Every Wish, Counting on a Miracle, This Life, and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

7. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

"Leap of Faith" off Lucky Town is a favorite of mine that doesn't get a ton of play.

I could write pages upon pages about how disappointing I found Working on a Dream as an album, but "The Last Carnival" is absolutely lovely. It's the song that was written as a tribute to Danny Federici after he passed.

I think The Seeger Sessions as a whole doesn't get nearly the love it deserves, but the release of Wrecking Ball has unearthed more affection for it than I thought was out there.

ETA: "Paradise" is a bit of a sleeper but on repeated listens it's one of my favorites. Really haunting. "Countin' on a Miracle," which was mentioned above, narrowly beats it out for the song off The Rising I like the most.

8. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Larry Kerwin plays "American Land" frequently on his Sirius/XM show and I love it. He also plays Steve Earles "Galway Girl" a lot which seems like the perfect 1-2 punch. :)

9. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

I must say, I may be one of those who might try a trip on the Seeger Sessions train now. I've never listened to that album, and was thinking about it while listening to "Wrecking Ball." It comes recommended, I take it?

10. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

"Bobby Jean" from "Born in the USA"

11. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I'd say among the non-hardcore fans, I'd go with these five:

Incident on 57th Street
    Highway Patrolman
    Shut Out the Light
    This Hard Land
    Long Time Comin'

12. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

Piotr, got to hear an amazing Lost in the Flood and Restless Nights in Buffalo. If you don't have it, it's an amazing boot. Let me know if you need it.

Draft saved Draft deleted