1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Unhappy preps

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BertoltBrecht, Feb 21, 2007.

1. BertoltBrecht

BertoltBrecht Member

What have you guys done when the inevitable unhappy high school athlete approaches you about the lack of their sport (name and picture) in the paper?
    Do you have to explain to every one of them news value and such? Or do you just walk away?

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

"don't make me cut you, bitch."

works wonders.

3. boots

boots New Member

It depends on how the person confronts me. If they are being an ass, then I shoot an asshole type of response. If its genuine, then they get a genuine answer.
    I personally have always hated parents. I had one actually tell me that it was wrong for me to focus on the team winning and not their son, who started the game but got rocked and was taken out.

4. BertoltBrecht

BertoltBrecht Member

Is it OK for me to be an ass back at them? Or is that unprofessional?

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

tell them you're going to "cut" them with a high level of professionalism.

6. boots

boots New Member

You can effectively get your point across in a professional manner. First off, yor are not paid to take abuse. If they are abusing you and use the line "I'll tell your editor." Invite them to do so and insist that they do it with you present. That way the whole story is told at one time and not in bits and pieces.

7. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

What boots said.

But keep that box cutter in arm's reach. ;D

8. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

I just get uneasy whenever friends or semi-frequent acquaintances will try to use that relationship to suggest stories. Like, "Hey, me and my friends like to play Manhunt every weekend. We have a couple set teams, and even have shirts! That'd make a good story."
    So maybe that's an extreme example, but still. Manhunt? Not so much.

9. moonlight

moonlight Member

I try to be very calm and polite about it. But if they turn into flaming dickheads, I walk.

If they're calm enough to discuss it, I kindly remind them that newspapers are in the business of reporting news, but also of making money (or at least trying to). That's why we put so much time and emphasis into football and basketball. That's the stuff people buy our papers for. Sure, an occasional swimming article would be nice, but nobody -- other than a dozen or so parents -- will be forking over 50 cents to buy the paper when an article about their kid's swim meet is in it.

When advertisers pony up for the annual swimming tab, we all could think about doing one. When 3,000 people show up for a swim meet, we all could think about covering one.

Just my two cents.

10. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Just be polite and honest saying something to the effect of - we'd like to cover more events and your sport but we don't have the manpower to do it.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

damn you and your logic moonlight.

you're lucky we don't give swimming parents box cutters.

12. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

But then you get into the type of things stated on another thread by Brain, where whiny mommy goes to the higher-up, and the higher-up sides with her. Happens all the time at community papers...

Draft saved Draft deleted