1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Unfortunate weblink

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by DoctorFace, Oct 21, 2010.

1. DoctorFace

DoctorFace New Member

Someone should really think a little harder before coming up with these things.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-steelers-harrisonshits

2. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

Well, in truth, he did kind of hit all over himself with those comments.

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

It's all computerized. And there is a good chance someone saw it and can't change it because they are web editors not web programmers screwing with metadata and SEO.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

At my library we have a system of cataloging where we take the first three letters of a person's last name to file their books, CDs, etc. Makes it a bit touchy when the person's last name is something like Assenmacher or Assad. Especially when the person has a Christian CD and the abbreviation on the label comes out to:

CHRIST
    ASS

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

At one of my old shops, someone made up an internal phone list referring to one person as the "Ass. Man. Editor."

6. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Somebody fixed something. That's a page not found now.

7. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Still works for me. You have to copy and paste it, not click the link, which seems to not include the offending part.

8. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

Our digital photo naming system uses the reporter's initials, then a word or two about the photo.

This photo was about a "Shop with a Cop" holiday program: asShop. The sport editor came out of his office and loudly asked why we gave a photo that name. Another gem: jsExpo.

9. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Even if/when programmers could change it, there's a likelihood you wouldn't want to because of that very reason -- the metadata and SEO and then you've had a live link out there for x number of hours and all of a sudden it's a dead link. Bad for business.

10. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

Actually a reasonably accurate descriptor for myself and many others I've known in the business.

11. Karl Hungus

Karl Hungus Member

In a college football game a few weeks back, Fordham was playing host to Assumption. On the ESPN Mobile App FCS scoreboard, the game used the team abbreviations FOR and ASS.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'm in a web-based gig now and gotta watch out for that stuff. I built a photo for a story that was a three-panel thing with three different golfers and slugged it "threesome." Co-worker made me rename it. Never mind that it was three people and golfers know that the pros play in groups of three. More trouble than it's worth.

Draft saved Draft deleted