1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Unfortunate Time magazine cover of Billy Graham

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ondeadline, Aug 13, 2007.

1. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

<<<If it was a magazine other than Newsweek or Time, I'd wonder about intentions, but those magazines try to play it straight in their editorial decisions.>>>

You can't be serious. Don't know about Newsweek, but Time is about as slanted left as a mainstream news magazine can be. They give ultra-left columnist Joe Klein the upfront spot almost every week, and their second spot usually goes to another liberal such as Michael Knisley. Their inclusion of William Kristol or other right guys is tokenism at best.

Case in point was an issue a few months back that had Al Gore on the cover and inside just poured out hosannas all over him and his warped environmental views, and also had a big piece on Hillary Clinton making her sound like a statesman in the Thomas Jefferson or Benjamin Franklin mode, topped off by a one-sided take on some sort of gay country culture that offered no balance reporting at all---just gushed all over it.

The day Time magazine counters such an issue with three big conservative presentations that aren't negative or tongue in cheek slams is the day that I vote for Hillary.

2. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

But more accurate.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

This was my first thought.

4. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

If it hadn't been pointed out, it's doubtful I would have noticed that had I stared at the cover for 10 minutes straight.

5. Oh, clutch. The "ultraleft" Joe Klein. As opposed to going out of its way to hire Bloody Bill Kristol AFTER he's been wrong about everything for the past seven years. And, anyway, "ultraleft"? Joe Klein? Are you high?
    Anyway, there's this:

[​IMG]

And this...
    [​IMG]

and this:

[​IMG]

Please try harder.

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Joe Klein = Ultraliberal? You wouldn't know a true liberal if one bit you on the ass. Being a democrat or slightly left of the U.S. center doesn't make one a liberal.

7. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Move over, The Nation, The Progressive, Mother Jones, In These Times. Here comes Time...standard-bearer of the left.

8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

That Mother Jones is just a commie mag. No real American would be caught dead reading it. And the Nation . . . well, now that's just subversive propaganda put out by the commies in Cuba and Venezula.

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Have we at least used up our quotient on Jesus/Bible covers for newsmagazines over the past few years?

I always imagined the pitching of the headlines:

Jesus, still a swell guy.

God, back by popular demand.

The Bible, is there anything it can't do?

And Joe Klein=ultraliberal is my laugh of the day. Thanks, clutch.

10. Yeah, that Gore, always believing what the vast majority of the scientific community says. He's just CRAZY!

11. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Billy Graham almost looks like Al Sharpton in that profile shot.

12. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

At the risk of hacking a lot of people here off...I wish that came in poster size.

Draft saved Draft deleted