1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Unfinished beat business

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by RedCanuck, Mar 23, 2008.

1. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

I have a situation unfolding that has me a bit unnerved and I'm hoping that maybe someone else has experienced similar and could shed some advice.

I've had a beat covering one team for five years now. They're finally at the point where they're competing for a provincial championship. Over those years, it's been a lot of long nights and a lot of my life invested into covering that beat.

At the same time, there's a chance for advancement in my company that might take me away from that at its peak. I feel like I certainly have a connection to that team and a loyal readership that would be worth carrying through to the end of the season.

Anyone ever left a beat in the thick of things? Is it natural to have all the mixed feelings I'm having about this? Suggestions?

2. shockey

shockey Active Member

i understand the conflicting emotions. but i'd urge you to move on. there will only be regret if you don't. :eek: 8) :eek: 8)

and yes, i speak from experience. better to leave too soon than too late.

3. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I left the business in the middle of what I suspected was, and turned out to be, an NCAA championship run. If you're moving on for a good reason, no need to drag it out.

4. shockey

shockey Active Member

this sounds like a classic example of being too close to something. understandable. but taking a step back is a must. 8) 8) 8)

5. Babs

Babs Member

Right and nothing says you can't buy a ticket and attend the games to get some closure.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I've done it. I worried a little bit about my replacement on the beat, but in the end, I had to choose what was better, professionally and personally, for me. I don't think I was on the beat long enough to have a "loyal readership." Even if I was and did, I assume, I'd have made the same decision.

7. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Do what's best for you. It's you who has to live with the decision. No one else.

The loyal readers? Try this test. Put your arm in a bucket of water, pull it out, and see the impression left behind. That's how much they'll miss you after a week or so. So do what's best for you. The beat doesn't owe you anything. You gave the best your best. But there's more to life than a beat.

8. Stone Cane

Stone Cane Member

i think the fact that you're conflicted about leaving means you're good at what you do and give a shit about your job & your beat

but as stated above, you have to do what's best for you

9. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

Thanks. I know what you're all saying about the loyal readers, but both situations involved are fairly small weeklies where there is that personal interaction. And, "too close" probably is fair.

10. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I've been in the same position, although the beats themselves weren't what gave me pause.

If you feel a need to move on, move on. Don't worry about "unfinished business." Someone will finish the business, whether it's you or someone else.

11. 212areacode

212areacode Member

I covered a major, major, major New York team once as a beat writer. Awful team, but it was great writing about something that people cared about so much. I had an opportunity to move to a better position within the paper, give up the beat work, but get a column that would take me far away from the team just as the team was suddenly getting really competitive. I feel your pain. You want to be there when things change because we're cylical creatures. It's why coaches quit after winning championships, and return when they fall just shy of winning one.

Here's the factors you need to think about...

A) Are you happy doing what you're doing? Because you don't fuck with happy in this era of newspapers.

B) Can I get my dream job by staying on this beat? Because you need to ask yourself if staying on the beat is going to inhibit your professional growth. If so, move on. You'll get attached to a new team.

I did.

12. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

You had a job? I thought you just ate Fruity Pebbles and posted on here all day, every day.

Draft saved Draft deleted